Winchester & Western Railroad
& Piedmont Railroad
Confederate Military Railroad
North Central Virginia
|Four other railroads, listed below and shown on the Railroad
Map of Northcentral Virginia, have each made their own individual contribution
to railroad history in Northcentral Virginia:
1.) RoslynIn 1906, when the PRR's line from the Long Bridge through Alexandria to Fredericksburg was transferred to the Washington Richmond Company (RF&P), the PRR retained ownership of the tracks over the bridge and to a point just south of the bridge identified as RO. A three mile long branch line had been constructed by 1896, from the south foot of the bridge extending northward to Roslyn. In 1903 the line was sold to the Roslyn Connecting Railroad, a PRR subsidiary. By 1975 the line had been cut back to the area of the Pentagon, and then later as the result of redevelopment in the area, the remainder of the line was cut back further such that only an outline of the roadbed remains in an industrial area at the foot of the Long Bridge.
2.) Hagerstown, MD. to Winchester, VA.By 1860 the Cumberland Valley (CV) Railroad, then under the financial control of the PRR, had reached as far south as Hagerstown, MD from Harrisburg, Pa. The line was extended to Martinsburg, W.Va.. by the early 1870's and reached Winchester, VA. in 1889. The CV was merged into the PRR in 1919, and the line became part of Penn Central in 1968, and Conrail in 1976. The line from a point on the southern outskirts of Hagerstown southward to Winchester was sold to the Winchester & Western in the mid 1980's.
The PF&P RR operated as narrow gauge until after World War 1, was sold under foreclosure in 1925 and reorganized as the Orange & Frederick Railroad. In 1926 the line was standard gauged and the name changed to the Virginia Central Railway (VC Rwy), the second railroad to use that name. In 1930 the VC Rwy was projected eastward from Fredericksburg and along the south bank of the Rappahannock River to its mouth near Chesapeake Bay where a port was to be developed. Construction of the line was never started. In 1938 the entire line was abandoned except for a two mile segment in Fredericksburg which lasted as late as 1973.