Facebook Page

The Owosso Argus-Press Jan. 6,1925

A. A. R. R. MAY TAKE OVER M. & N. E.

Decision to Await Outcome of Hearing; Motor Car Service Dropped

The possibility that the Ann Arbor Railroad will operate a portion of the Manistee and Northeastern railroad for its stockholders loomed, as the hearings on the petition of the receiver of the M. & N. E. for permission to abandon the line were resumed today before the public utilities commission in offices of the Ann Arbor here this morning. Nothing definite could be learned relative to the report that the Ann Arbor company would consider absorbing the M. & N. E. The operating of some of the M. & N. E. branches by the Ann Arbor company will depend on the decision by the utilities commission to accept or refuse the petition by its receiver for the abandonment of the road, it was stated.

Motor car service was completely abandoned by the Ann Arbor railroad the first of this year with the taking off of the car from Owosso to Cadillac, thus completing the gradual curtailment which started about four years ago when motor bus transportation began to cut in with its competition. The motor car service by the Ann Arbor was an important factor in the passenger revenue of the road after the service was first introduced 11 years ago. In 1917, these motor cars, representing an investment of $125,000, handled 353,000 passengers, simmering down to 30,000 passengers in 1923.

From a schedule of two round trips daily from Owosso to Cadillac, on from Owosso to Ann Arbor and two from Ann Arbor to Toledo, the service was reduced regularly and gradually. First one trip was canceled between here and Cadillac, then one from Toledo to Ann Arbor, then a second from Ann Arbor to Toledo, and finally the last car has been taken from service between Owosso and Cadillac.

The Owosso Argus-Press April 29, 1925

Parvin Tells Chamber Ann Arbor is Better Equipped Than Ever

The weekly meeting of the Chamber of Commerce, held at the armory on Monday noon, strted with a discussion of the value of the Ann Arbor railroad shops to the city, and wound up with a regular “trade – at – home” session. Victor Parvin, superintendent of the road, addressed the chamber, and told them that his road was in better shape to give service than ever before.

Five locomotives, at $57,000 each, have been purchased by the road. A new ferry boat, costing $850,000, has been added to the service. New box cars have been added at a cost of $2,000,000. Cross ties costing $280,000 were added during the past year. Thieving from shipments have ceased on the Ann Arbor, and the past two years has found the road road free from losses from this cause. Credit for this was given by Mr. Parvin to Clyde Patterson of Owosso, who is chief of police on the system.

Every additional train load of 28 cars that moves means an expenditure of $280 by the road, most of which comes back into Owosso, said Mr. Parvin.

Business men who spoke on the subject indicate that particular attention would be paid, in future, to routing of freight via Ann Arbor into Owosso, in less than car lots as well as in the carload shipments.

In further discussion of the labor situation here, president Cadwallader stated that union and non-union labor worked well together in Owosso, and was pleased that there had been such amity of feeling that Owosso had been free from labor troubles.

The Owosso Argus-Press May 9, 1925


Urges Shippers to Route All Possible Freight Over This Road

The Chamber of Commerce has found, according to W. A. Seegmiller, secretary, and passed on to the business men of Owosso, six big reasons why they should give preference to the Ann Arbor railroad in routing their shipments in and out of the city. These reasons, based on actual figures and statistics that have been compiled, are regarded by the Chamber as sufficiently convincing to prove their contention without argument to the contrary from any source.

For the entire year of 1924 there was an average daily employment by the Ann Arbor railroad, in Owosso, of 593 3mployes. These men drew their wages here and spent them here. This reason number one.

During the year 1924 nearly one million dollars was paid, in wages, to the employes of the Ann Arbor in Owosso. The exact figure is $951,904.53. This is the chamber's big reason number two.

For some time past, says reason three, the Ann Arbor has not been handling more than five per cent of the merchandise of less car lot tonnage, in and out of the city.

The number of employes working for the Ann Arbor railroad here would create a city of from three to four thousand population according to estimates of the chamber. It is estimated that practically on third of the support of all retail business, profess men, and municipal departments comes from the money poured into the coffers of the city's business, by the railroad, through its employes.

The final reason for the Chamber's plea for support of Owosso's biggest industry is that the majority of the employes of the railroad have been residents here for years. They own their homes here, and thus helped in maintaining real estate values. They raise their families here, support Owosso schools, churches, lodges and stores. They should be supported in their business by the city in turn patronizing the road that makes it possible for them to live in and support the city and all its manifold enterprises, says the Chamber of Commerce statement.

The Owosso Argus-Press June 3, 1925


Company Mentioned as One of Possible Buyers of Property

J. E. Tussig, of St. Louis, president, and J. W. Newell, also of St. Louis, vice president and comptroller of the Wabash railroad, which has been mentioned as one of the possible purchasers of the Ann Arbor railroad in the contemplated merger announced some time ago, were guests of E. F. Blomeyer, vice president and general manager, and other officials, of the latter road today in a tour of inspection over the Ann Arbor lines and terminal stations. Others in the party besides Mr. Blomeyer, representing the Ann Arbor road, were V. Parvin, superintendent, L. J. Allen, chief engineer, and H. S. Bradley, traffic manager.

The special train carrying the private cars arrived in Owosso at noon today, having left the Toledo terminal of the Ann Arbor, where the initial inspection of the road's facilities was made, earlier in the forenoon. Upon its arrival here the party inspected the yards for about 20 minutes, then left for Frankfort, which is to be the next stop of the trip.

Mr. Tussig declined to make a statement relative to the significance of the trip, saying “just tell them that I am a guest of Mr. Blomeyer.” Mr. Blomeyer added that whatever either one could say would would be only premature at the present time.

That the Wabash railroad is seriously considering the purchase of the Ann Arbor is assumed from the fact that the officials are following up previous news to this effect by an actual inspection of the road. The Wabash president joking stated that he wanted “to see what a real road looked like” while Mr. Blomeyer offered regrets that a longer time could not be spend in Owosso so that his guest might observe the appearance “of a real town.”

In spite of the casual attitude of the officials, there is a possibility that the Wabash will very shortly have a big interest in the Ann Arbor system. It has been reported that the Wabash recently acquired 15,000 shares of common and preferred stock of the Ann Arbor, leaving 64,000 shares yet outstanding.

It is rumored in financial circles that L. F. Loree, of New York, president of the Delaware and Hudson railroad has been negotiating for some time to acquire additions in that system, that would form a transcontinental system that could not be approached by any other in amount of mileage. There appears to be considerable connection between that presumption and the present relations of the Wabash and Ann Arbor systems.

It can easily be understood how the consolidation of these roads would form a system of considerable magnitude, those who have made the above deductions state. The Wabash runs from Kansas City to Omaha, Des Moines, Chicago, Toledo and Buffalo. With the D. & H. covering the northeast portion of the country, it is believed that the Ann Arbor system would be a valuable adjunct to such a merger of systems.

At the present time there is considerable move toward the merging of smaller systems throughout the country into a larger unit, since the competition under the old railroading systems seems to argue for a rearrangement along this line for economic reasons.

Just what the effect on Owosso will be should the Wabash take over the Ann Arbor is as problematical as the deal itself. However, it is thought that even though much of the overhauling might be removed from the local terminal that increase in business could leave as many employes here as at present. The consolidation of roads would automatically suspend any other move toward an alteration in operation that have previously been made by the individual companies.

The Owosso Argus-Press June 9, 1925


Complete New Structure at Cost of $3500; Others Are Planned

The continuance of general improvements and additions that have been made about the shops of the Ann Arbor railroad terminal here bespeak nothing but permanency and general anticipation of greater volume of operations, in all lines of repair work.

Whether is any connection betweeen the fact that the Ann Arbor is to be consolidated with the Wabash railroad if the Interstate Commerce Commission approves, and that a call has been sent out for additional mechanics to add to the shop force here was not stated at the offices at the yards yesterday. Never-less this is looked upon as indicative of preparation for a larger amount of work in the shops. It is quite natural to expect, as it was stated, that with more business being routed over the Ann Arbor lines as a result of the consolidation more work will fall upon the Owosso shops.

One of the most recent additions to the equipment at the yards is a new $3500 building 32 x 60 feet, in dimensions, housing the office of the general foreman, tin shop and lavatory and wash room for the men.

The tin shop portion of this building embodies a very important addition to the equipment, it is pointed out. In this department brass work and acetylene welding is done. The wash room is a feature that is being very much appreciated by the men who have thus been given modern convenience. The building is constructed with heavy cement flooring and is a substantial frame structure.

An extension will be made onto the storeroom, also in the above building, for the office of the division accountant, which is now located in the general office building near the footbridge approach on the north side of the yards.

It is expected that a similar building will also go up west of the round house in the near future. This building will contain the office of the round house superintendent and another lavatory and wash room for the round house employes. Rest rooms and lockers for the engineers and firemen will also be located in the new building. The plans as yet are not completed.

The increase of business that may be expected by reason of the consolidation can be visualized in a certain extent by an estimate of the additional trackage afforded by the combine. The Wabash alone has 2,524 miles of track while the Ann Arbor has 294 miles of rail and 328 miles of boat lines, making a combined mileage total of 3,146.

Employes of the Ann Arbor railroad, both in the shops and in the operating end of the road are greatly pleased by the announcement of the new Wabash ownership that the shops and the division point would both remain in Owosso. This feeling of pleasure is felt in particular, by the older employes of the lines, who own their homes in the city, and have lived here many years and settled themselves in the community.

While many of the employes of the road were not of the opinion that the shops would be moved from Owosso, there was never-less, a feeling of uneasiness at the bare possibility that they would have tp place their homes on the market and break all the ties that had been years in the forming and purchase new homes in a strange town, and form new homes in a strange town, on a rising real estate market, and form new friendships, or accept the alternative of separating themselves from the employer that they had served, some of them for long periods.

The feeling of gratification at he announcement that the shops and division point would remain here is as unanimous as any sentiment that ever made itself felt in the city.

The Toledo News-Bee July 24, 1925

Toledoan, 2 Companions Hurt When Train Hits Auto

Solomon Rice, 21, of 2654 Maplewood av, is in serious condition in a Monroe (Mich.) hospital, with a fractured skull and other injuries received when the auto in which he was riding was struck by an Ann Arbor train at the Telegraph road crossing on Friday night.

Abe Lubitsky, 19, of 2323 Franklin av, and James Jacobs, 20, of 2654 Franklin av, were cut and bruised. They were taken to St. Vincent's Hospital. The machine was badly damaged.

The Owosso Argus-Press July 30, 1925


Roadmaster Killed, Engineer John Scott Thought Fatally Injured Several Other Bruised

John Scott, 300 Hickory street, engineer on the Ann Arbor railroad, remained in an unconscious condition at Memorial hospital at 4:30 today, as the result of what is belivedd to be a fatal injury at the base of the brain, received when his train crashed into a freight at Lake George yesterday afternoon.

Scott was rushed to the hospital here in an ambulance following the wreck, arriving at 1:30 this morning. He was unconscious when arriving here and did not revive. Grave fears are entertained for his recovery.

It had been planned to give the injured an X-ray examination but his condition was such as to make this impossible. A drainage operation, in which the spine was punctured, was performed, however, which showed that a very serious injury had been inflicted. The other injuries which Scott suffered as he leaped from the cab of his engine when the crash impended, were of minor consequence.

Dr. A. M. Hume, physician the Ann Arbor company, who is attending Scott, issued a statement just before noon in which he offered small hopes, although he said there was a very slight chance for the injured man's recovery.

The nature of the injury is such that should Scott rally there is little danger of paralysis as there would be if higher on the head. It is possible that may remain unconscious for hours before it is known whether or not he will live.


Martin Emfield, roadmaster of the Ann Arbor railroad, was instantly killed and John Scott, engineer, of Owosso, was probably fatally injured in a head-on collision between passenger train No. 51 and a freight at Lake George station on the Ann Arbor road about 2:30, central standard time Wednesday afternoon. More than 15 passengers on the passenger train were bruised but, although thrown from their seats, not on of them was hurt seriously when the two trains came together. Medical attention was given by physicians of Lake George.

Scott, who lives at 309 North Hickey street, was the engineer on the passenger train making its run between Toledo and Frankfort. The fireman, Clifford Tuff, also of Owosso, living at 712 Linglo street, escaped injury when he leaped from his of the cab.

W. D. Draper, 909 Corunna avenue, engineer of the freight and George Cleland, fireman, residing at the Dorcas Home here, both were unhurt when they jumped clear of their engine when the passenger crashed into them.

M. J. Bright, of Toledo, conductor of the passenger train received severe injuries, but will recover, and one woman passenger whose identity was not learned received lacerations on the neck and her wrists ere hurt. It was stated that her injuries were in no way to be considered serious.

Scott, 50 years old and who has been employed by the Ann Arbor railroad nearly 30 years, is believed to have received his injury as he jumped from the engineer's side of his cab when he saw that a wreck could not be avoided. He fell head first and fractured his skull. He was rushed to Memorial hospital here in an ambulance sent from Marion, arriving at 1 o'clock this morning. A drainage operation was performed, disclosing that he had suffered a serious fracture at the base of the brain. He did not recover consciousness after the accident. Mrs. Scott was on the passenger train at the time of the accident and was at her husband's side constantly until this morning.

Emfield was pinned in the cab of the passenger engine, in which he was riding on the trip, with the boiler forming a wedge against the body which could not be removed until an acetelyne outfit could be sent from Cadillac to cut the iron away. It is believed that he did not make an attempt to leave the engine when the crash impended.

Mistake In Orders

The passenger train was making its regular run between Toledo and Frankfort while the freight left Cadillac as a “symbol” freight carrying important shipments and going south. The passenger train in charge of Conductor Bright and Engineer Scott was running at the rate of 25 miles per hour. The freight was standing on the main track about 300 feet from the Lake George station with an order that the passenger train was to take the siding. The operator at Farwell forgot to deliver the order to the passenger crew, it was stated, and overlooked saying anything to the train dispatcher in regard to missing the order.

The engine of the passenger train was completely demolished. The baggage car was derailed and the west end broken in. The mail car, coach and parlor car were not damaged, except that the rear platform of the parlor car buckled up. The engine of the freight was derailed and had a head end stove-in and the engine frames were damaged.

A car of the Soo Line in the freight train and loaded with flour was smashed and an Ann Arbor car of lumber was damaged with the end of the car smashed in and the draw bar broken. The mail car, coach and parlor car proceeded on its run about five hours afterward manned by a local crew and relief engine. The engine crew of the freight returned to Owosso early this morning on another freight train.

The wrecker was dispatched from Owosso ot Lake George at 3:30 yesterday afternoon and cleared the wreckage after several hours. Those of the local division offices who went to the scence were Victor Parvin, superintendent; George Tracey, trainmaster, F. M. Bishop, assistant chief engineeer; M. B . Nesmith, claim agent, and Raymond Stuck, assistant claim agent.

Scott Rushed Here

Closely following the accident, Scott's sons, Robert, Francis and William, all living here, were notified by the Ann Arbor and advised that the injured man was being taken to the Mt. Pleasant hospital. They left immediately for that place. It was decided later that Scott would be able to make the entire distance to Owosso and he was brought on to Memorial Hospital.

The engineer of the freight train was oiling the engine when he observed the passenger approaching around the curve. He ran to one side and escape injury. The fireman who was working on the tender, was able to jump clear before the collision occurred.

The entire crew of the freight, all members of which escaped injury, live here. They are; conductor, W. J. Hoy, 400 Michigan avenue; brakeman, Charles Spore, 419 Huggins street and head brakeman, Harold Carmody, 607 Corunna avenue.

The crew arrived in Owosso at 4:55 this morning together the extra freight made up of the cars not damaged with and engine and crew from Cadillac.

The scene of the accident was one of excitement soon after the collision, when a large crowd, which came in automobiles, was attracted from the area of five miles radius by the noise of the collision, according to reports. The freight was heavily loaded with 67 cars and the air was set on the brakes. The force of the impact shoved the heavy freight engine off the track. The car of flour which was near the engine made the air thick with the white substance when the smash came. Had it not been for the protection of the heavy steel mail and express coaches, it is believed that the entire passenger train would have been telescoped. The fact that none of the passengers were fatally injured maintains the record of the Ann Arbor road over its years of operation in that a passenger has never been killed on its lines.

The telegraph wires at the Ann Arbor offices here were kept hot for hours after the accident in dispatching orders and furnishing information to officials of the road.

Emfield, it was stated, has been connected with the road as train master for about three years.

The wrecking crew had succeeded about 10 o'clock this morning in clearing the tracks at Lake George of the wreck and the crew is expected back in Owosso this afternoon.

The Owosso Argus-Press Aug. 4, 1925

Charles Stickney, 50, and Frank Lewis, 35, gentlemen of the open road, were sent to county jail Monday by Justice Stanley Day, to wait examination in his court on August 7, on a charge of loitering on railroad property. Special Officer Dave Graham found the men in a caboose in the Ann Arbor yards, where they had built a fire and were proceeding to make themselves right at home.

Morris Dennis and Robert Devoe have been placed under arrest on the charge of stealing brass from the Ann Arbor railroad. Devoe was bound over to circuit court this morning, under $60 bail, and Dennis is to appear again before the court today. Dennis gave his age as 17, and Devoe says he is 16.

The Owosso Press-Press Aug. 5, 1925


Nine cars of a freight train on the Ann Arbor were derailed at 1:30 this morning, two miles north of Harietta station, which is 138 miles north of Owosso. The wrecking crew from Owosso went to the scene of the accident, the cause of which can not be determined until the road is cleared of the wreckage. No one was injured, it is reported. Passenger traffic on the Cadillac – Frankfort division is detoured over the Pere Marquette from Thompsonville to Cadillac. Traffic on the southern end of the line is not affected. It is expected that the road will again be cleared, ready for any necessary repairs to the track, before night today.

The Owosso Argus-Press Aug. 7, 1925

John Thorton, a boiler maker at the Ann Arbor shops,was taken to Memorial hospital Thursday afternoon, when his eye was injured by the blast from an air hose that parted while in use. The injury is not serious, it was stated, though painful.

The Owosso Argus-Press Nov. 17, 1925

Ann Arbor Railroad Defendant in Suit Brought by Fred Rowley

Corunna, Nov. 17 – Fred Rowley, who was injured when a section crew's motor car upon which he was riding left the tracks just north of Ann Arbor on August 24, 1925, has started suit against the Ann Arbor railroad for $25,000, alleging that he has been permanently crippled. Suit was filed for Rowley by Daniel Cronin, Detroit attorney.

Rowley charges the road with employing an operator for the car who was not of legal age, one Harold Cleavinger, and further claims that the motor car was not in proper mechanical condition for operation. He says in his declaration that his spine was injured, his skull fractured, his faced lacerated to such an extent that it is now badly scarred, and his knees injured. He was 50 years of age, strong and healthy at the time of the accident, says Rowley in his declaration, but is now permanently injured, he says.

The Toledo News-Bee Nov. 11, 1925

Ohio State's football squad of about 35 men will spend next Friday in this city. The party will come up from Columbus on Friday afternoon and will remain over night at the Secor Hotel.

The journey to Ann Arbor will be resumed on Saturday morning. It is the plan of Manager Jimmy Michos of the Secor to organize a party for the Ohio State followers on their way to Ann Arbor on Friday night and a second one on Saturday evening for those returning to Columbus.

Joe O'Brien of the Ann Arbor informs us that his road will have another special for the Michigan game on Saturday. The train, made up of Pullmans and coaches, will leave here at 12:15 Toledo time and arrive at Ferry Field at 12:45 central time, one hour and 15 minutes before the start of the game.

The Ann Arbor special for the Michigan-Navy game made the running time, both going and returning, in one hour and 15 minutes.