August 2013 Meeting Details
CAPT Board Meeting
August 10, 2013
The Carolinas Association for Passenger Trains will meet at the Aiken
Visitors Center and Train Museum on Saturday, August 10th, 2013.
The address is 406 Park Avenue SE in Aiken. The center's phone number
is 803-293-7846. The center is located in the restored Aiken Railroad
Depot. There is adequate parking adjacent to the center and on the street.
Those wishing to have lunch prior to the meeting will meet at the West
Side Bowery at 11:30 a.m. It is located on 151 Bee Lane (actually an alley)
behind the Aiken City Hall. Their phone number is 803-648-2900
www.westsidebowery.com). After lunch, we will go
to the visitor s center for a private tour of the train museum
starting at 1:00 p.m. We are supposed to have a minimum of 10
or more people in our group to have the private tour so we are
asking everyone that possibly can come, to please try to make it.
The museum is great and certainly worth seeing.
After the tour, our board meeting will begin at
2:00 p.m. and we will have the meeting room until 5:00 p.m.
Directions to the West Side Bowery restaurant are as follows:
- Take I-20 West toward Augusta from Columbia and Charlotte and
points north and west
- take Exit 22 off I-20 and go toward Aiken
- this is US Highway 1 and it becomes York Street NE and goes directly
- in the city, turn right onto Richland Avenue East and
go two blocks, turning left onto Newberry Street SW.
- Approximately one
block down Newberry Street, you will see The Alley on the right (the
restaurant can be reached down this alley).
- Parking is available along
Newberry Street, Laurens Street and Park Avenue.
To reach the Aiken Visitors Center and Train Museum,
- come into the city on US Highway 1 (York Street NE)
- turn left onto Richland Avenue East
- go two blocks turning right onto Union Street SE
- go about two blocks toward the corner of Union Street and Park
- You will see the visitors center on your left.
- Parking is available nearby.
As always our meeting is open to all interested parties.
SC Vice President
Carolinas Association for Passenger Trains
CAPT Board Meeting Agenda
- Secretary's report
- Treasurer's report
Update on news in North Carolina and South Carolina affecting transit and rail passenger service
Update on the resolution drive in South Carolina in support of expanded
rail passenger service
- Update on push by a Central Midlands coalition for a Columbia-Charlotte connection to the high speed rail network
Discussion of ways to distribute the new CAPT brochure featuring maps of present and possible future rail passenger service
- Update on CAPT newsletter and website issues
- Amtrak update
- Reports by Officers and Directors
- Planning for future meetings