Rip Van Winkle
Tannersville was the western terminus of the 5-mile long narrow gauge Catskill & Tannersville Railway. The C&T constructed west to this location in 1899 after the Ulster & Delaware Railroad was standard gauged and discontinued service to Otis Summit. The new route of the Catskill & Tannersville Railway paralleled the Ulster & Delaware Railroad. The terminal station of the C&T at Tannersville was located on South Main Street, just a short distance from the U&D's station.
Facilities at Tannersville were rather simple.
There was a single track to serve both the passenger and freight stations.
Trains, after arriving in Tannersville and allowing passengers to
disembark, would back up the hill. The hand brakes on the coach(es) would
be applied. The locomotive would then proceed down to the turntable to be
turned to face back towards Otis Summit. Meanwhile, the brakes on the
coach(es) would be released and the car(s) would coast down the hill into
the Tannersville Station. The locomotive would come off the turntable spur
and back down to recouple to the train, then proceed back to Otis Summit.
Head Back to the Station!