Below are two Dean Heacock pics of the WM and C&O
How to make Athearn Double Door Boxcars:
1. Paint the undecorated cars C&O Enchantment Blue.
2. Spray a clear gloss finish on the sides and ends for the decals.
3. Apply a black wash to the roof.
4. Drybrush the roof and roofwalk with successively lighter shades of dark blue, ending with light grey or white.
5. Decal the car as seen above.
6. Seal the sides with clear flat finish.
7. Overspray the entire model with dark grey, use an overspray on the bottom 1/4 of dirt color.
8. Seal again with clear flat.
9. You are done.
Below are some inwork pics of my two cars. Notice
that the two cars are both double doored boxcars but they are decaled differently.
These two cars were not delivered in Chessie colors and instead were repainted
by different people at different times. The WM car has the Chess-C
logo more towards the center, the "Chessie System" logo more towards the
outside, and the car data more towards the center. Even very similar
cars have little differences. Enjoy.
Below are the finished products ready to hit the rails.
Notice the consolidated stencils and wheel inspection dot have been added.
The sides have been lightly weathered.