Robin and I arose at the Days Inn and I put the corrections into the Shelburne Museum story then uploaded all the pictures and text into the Hoosic Junction story before loading the car, taking the key back to the front desk and picking up the hotel bill. Robin soon came out with his luggage and we left the Days Inn for good, taking US Highway 7 then turned east on Vermont Highway 103.
The Green Mountain Railroad East Clarendon station built in 1916.
Delaware and Hudson caboose which houses an ice cream store. We continued east until we reached Vermont Highway 131 which we to until we found our first covered bridge of the trip.
The Downers Covered Bridge, also known as Upper Falls Covered Bridge spans the Black River, carrying Upper Falls Road just south of Vermont Route 131 in western Weathersfield. The Town lattice truss bridge was built in 1840 and rebuilt in 2008. We went east on this highway across the Connecticut River into New Hampshire where we were on New Hampshire Highway 11/103.
Daddy Pops Tumble Inn Diner in Claremont. We stopped at Dunkin' Donuts then went to find two railroad covered bridges off Chandler Mill Road.
The Sugar River Trail Pier Covered Bridge built in 1907 by the Boston & Maine Railroad to replace an earlier covered bridge.
Further down this road we saw the second Sugar River Covered Bridge but could not get a clear picture. We drove into Newport then went north on New Hampshire Highway 10 north to Corbin Bridge Road and our next stop.
The Corbin Covered Bridge over the Croydon Branch of the Sugar River built in 1845, destroyed by arson in 1993 and rebuilt in 1994. We returned to Newport.
The Boston & Maine Newport station built in 1897.
Cilleyville Bog Road Covered Bridge which in spans Pleasant Brook in Andover built in 1887. Next we went to Potter Place.
Boston and Maine Potter Place station built in 1874
More view of the Potter Place station.
Central Vermont wooden caboose 4030 built by the railroad in 1923 and served well into the 1960's and beyond. In addition to its service on the CVR, it also served on the Wolfeboro Railroad. The Andover Historical Society received the caboose as a gift from the WRR in 1987.
Boston, Concord & Montreal Railroad freight house built circa 1900.
Boston & Maine box car 77764 built by Pullman-Standard in 1956 and lettered Boston and Maine 4503.
A Potter Place scene. We drove to our next covered bridge of the trip.
Keniston Covered Bridge built in 1882.
Also here is the Boston, Concord & Montreal Railroad bridge. We continued east on the highway.
The Chance Creek Covered walkway bridge is not a true covered bridge.
The railroad culvert at Chance Creek. Next we found the Tilton station.
The Merrimack Valley Railroad freight house is really Boston and Maine's Northfield's Historic Railroad relocated to Tilton. They have many cabooses here which the New England Southern Railroad (NEGS), a Class III shortline operated jointly with the caboose owners of the Merrimack Valley Railroad. This train included three private passenger cars and at differing times, 15 to 18 cabooses. The Merrimack Valley Railroad contracted with NEGS to pull the consist between Tilton and Concord. Substantial increases in liability insurance (required by the State of New Hampshire) resulted in the end of caboose train service in 2012, after about 15 years of annual excursions.
Delaware & Hudson flanger 36030 built by the railroad in 1941.
Bangor and Aroostook caboose C-54 built by the railroad in 1914.
Union Pacific caboose 25505 built by International Car in 1964.
Delaware & Hudson caboose 35713 built by International Car in 1959.
Boston and Maine caboose C-167 built by International Car in 1960 and painted as Merrimack Valley Railroad 497 "Princess".
Lehigh & New England caboose 584 built by Reading in 1937.
Boston and Maine caboose C-168 built by International Car in 1960 and painted as New York Central 715351.
Maine Central caboose 659.
Boston and Maine caboose C-163 built by International Car in 1960 and currently numbered 493.
Boston & Maine caboose C-87 built by International Car in 1959 and currently numbered 487.
Boston and Maine caboose C-75 built by International Car in 1959 and painted as Lionel Lines C75.
Maine Central caboose 642 built by the railroad.
Canadian Pacific Railway caboose 434615 built by the railroad in 1978.
10-section observation car "Mount Hillers" built by Pullman in 1926 and currently numbered 100 "Granite State".
Canadian National Railway caboose 79524 built by the railway in 1971 from a box car.
Bangor and Aroostook caboose C10 built by Pullman in 1943 from a troop sleeper.
Maine Central caboose 648 built by the railroad and painted as Western Pacific 1819.
Merrimack Valley Railroad Station scene.
Boston & Maine caboose C-76 built by International Car in 1959.
Bangor & Aroostook caboose C63.
Unknown refrigerator car. From here we went east to Laconia and filled the car with petrol then took New Hampshire Highway 106 north to our next stop.
The Laconia Boston & Maine station built in 1892. From here we went north to Meredith and parked at the Winnipesaukee Railroad station.
|RETURN TO THE MAIN PAGE