After an excellent experience at the Ohio Railway Museum, Elizabeth and I drove south to London for our first depot.
Pennsylvania Railroad London station built in 1890. From here we went to Cedarville.
Pennsylvania Railroad station.
Pennsylvania Railroad freighthouse.
Conrail caboose 22875 built by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1941 as Pennsylvania Railroad 47725.
Conrail caboose 18648, originally Lehigh Valley 95088.
Chessie caboose 903277 built by International Car Company in 1970 as Cheasapeake and Ohio 3277. Our next stop was in Waynesville.
Pennsylvania Railroad Waynesville station. From here we drove to Lebanon and parked.Lebanon Mason Monroe Railroad
The Lebanon Mason Monroe Railroad, operating from Historic Downtown Lebanon, offers scenic train rides through Southwestern Ohio in Warren County. These nostalgic train rides present passengers with the opportunity to learn about local history and railroad operations while creating everlasting memories with family and friends. The unique location of the Historic Downtown Lebanon grants visitors the ability to experience the local splendor through shopping and dining in the charming tourist town.
The train operates on approximately 16 miles of track between Lebanon, Mason and Monroe. For most trips the LM&M runs 4.4 miles south from Lebanon Station in downtown Lebanon to historic Hageman Junction. The train runs over the famous right-of-way of the Cincinnati, Lebanon & Northern Railroad, a passenger and freight line that began operation in 1881. Built mainly as a commuter route, three trains every morning would head south from Lebanon to arrive at the CL&N's Court Street.
Initially constructed with narrow gauge rail spacing, thirtreen years later it was rebuilt to standard gauge. The CL&N was later acquired by the Pennsylvania Railroad that operated both freight and passenger trains over the line between Dayton and Cincinnati. Many segments of the line were abandoned over the years, but portions of the original CL&N/PRR trackage are still in operation today. The LM&M’s track from Lebanon to Hageman Junction is currently owned by the City of Lebanon. While the Indiana & Ohio continues to operate freight over the entire line, the LM&M retains trackage rights to operate passenger trains.Jeddo Coal 85 history
Jeddo Coal Company 85 "Mack" is a 0-4-0T saddle tank engine built by Vulcan Iron Works in 1928, for the A.E. Dick Construction Company. The 85 was soon sold to the Jeddo-Highland Coal Company, where he stayed until the early 1960's. At that time it was purchased by Gordon Brinthrop and moved to Horseheads, New York. Jeddo named it Engine No. 85 and used it in their mining operations until 1964 when they sold it to Pardee Brothers Company who moved it to Horseheads, New York. It was restored by Gramling Locomotive works.Our Trip
We started with the dinner train consist.
Cincinnati Railroad Club power car 1376, built by St. Louis Car Company in 1953 as United States Army kitchen car 89679. It was sold to Amtrak and became Baggage Car 1376 before being converted to a power car.
Milwaukee Road Deluxe Coach 3200 was built by the American Car and Foundry Company in 1946 as Louisville and Nashville 3200. The coach was sold to Pittsburgh and Lake Erie in the 1960's then to Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society, Friends of 261, Lake Central Rail Tours and the Cincinnati Dinner Train. It is painted to honor the Milwaukee Road and named "Montgomery" to honor both the Louisville and Nashville, which stopped at Montgomery, Alabama and the Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern, which stopped in Montgomery, Ohio.
Norfolk and Western 10-6 sleeper "Mingo County" built by Budd in 1949.
United States Army kitchen car 89687 "Queen City Tavern" built by St. Louis Car Company in 1950.
Jeddo Coal 0-4-0T 85 on the point of our train. When we purchased tickets a couple of months ago, we were nicely surprised to learn that for two weekends in August, a visiting steam engine would be pulling our train. While we did not mind what our motive power was, a steam engine is always nice to have. Additionally, it was one that neither of us had ridden behind before, so a double dose of good luck.
The crossing tower in Lebanon.
Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Railroad caboose 116 built by International Car Company in 1949.
Cleveland Terminal and Valley Railway Incorporated coach 90 built by Pullman in 1930 as Nickel Plate 90.
Delaware, Lackawanna & Western built by Pullman/General Electric in 1930 as Indiana & Ohio 101.
Delaware, Lackawanna & Western built by Pullman/General Electric in 1930 as Indiana & Ohio 103 "Turtle Creek".
Nickel Plate GP30 901 built by Electro Motive Company in 1962.
Chesapeake and Ohio GP7 5704 built by Electro Motive Company in 1960.
Cincinnati Scenic Railway's newest acquisition from June 2021 is Conrail GP10 7544, originally a GP9 built as Illinois Central 9037 by Electro Motive Company in 1954. It was outshopped as a GP10 in 1974 and renumbered Iliinois Central Gulf 8008. It had a second career as Paducah & Louisville 8349 before going to the Tennessee Central Railway museum. Silcott Railway Equipment of Worthington, Ohio, was contracted to handle moving the engine to the Midwest Railway Preservation Society facility in the Baltimore and Ohio roundhouse in Cleveland. The locomotive will join other members of the CSR/Lebanon Mason Monroe fleet, two GP30s, former Nickel Plate Road 901 and 902, and C&O 5407, a 1950 unit believed to be the oldest continuously operating GP7.
A railroad wheel, Chesapeake and Ohio GP7 5704 and Nickel Plate GP30 901.
Chesapeake and Ohio GP7 5704 and Nickel Plate GP30 901.
Replica Lebanon station built in 1976.
The historical sign for the station.
Jeddo Coal 85 waiting to depart. We then picked up our tickets and Elizabeth bought a T-shirt. There were not many souvenirs to be had.
The Shell gasoline station in Lebanon.
Wabash caboose 2762 built by the railroad in 1964.
The train departed the Lebanon station at 4:00 PM with us in coach 90.
The main road in Lebanon.
Nickel Plate GP30 901.
Chesapeake and Ohio GP7 5704.
Conrail GP10 7544.
Crossing Turtle Creek.
Everly Mance Company plant.
City of Reliance.
City of Crown Point.
More of those passenger cars.
Out into the countryside we go.
An American flag and Ohio State flag.
East Gate plant.
Soccer fields outside of Lebanon.
A stone building.
An impressive house.
A weeping willow.
George Steel Fabicating plant.
This was as far as we went. Now Jeddo Coal 85 would work up the grade to Lebanon.
Crossing Turtle Creek.
A highway runs along our route.
Power lines crossed our route.
A look out of the rear door.
You would never know that a steam engine is pulling us.
A baggage car, part of the Cincinnati Dinner Train equipment.
Cincinnati Dinner train information on this box car.
Unilock Pavers and Walls plant. We returned to Lebanon and were the first two people to detrain.
My last photos of Jeddo Coal 85.
One last view of the Shell gasoline station including the pumps. From here Elizabeth drove us to Arby's for dinner before driving us to Washington Court House.
The historical markers about the Granville T. Woods.
Cheaspeake and Ohio 2-8-4 2776 built by American Locomotive Company in 1947. The locomotive went on display in Jesse Eyman Park in 1960.
Baltimore and Ohio caboose C1939 built by the railroad in 1925.
Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railway freight house, which was acquired by the Baltimore and Ohio in 1917.
Cincinnati & Muskingum Valley Railway station. This was a railway line which ran from Trinway, Ohio, to Morrow, Ohio, and connected with the Steubenville and Indiana Railway at Trinway. The railroad depended on trackage rights with the Little Miami Railroad at Morrow to connect to Cincinnati. Built in 1866 by George Willison Adams, this railway was in operation until the 1970s. The C&MV merged with the Cleveland, Akron and Columbus Railroad in 1911. After the 1950s the line no longer carried passenger service but carried only freight.
Baltimore and Ohio freighthouse. Elizabeth then drove us to Holiday Inn for the night.
|RETURN TO THE MAIN PAGE|