CSX has had a long and eventfull history in Canada, it can be traced back to the late 1800's, two Subdivisons where run for a period of time as well as CSX run through trains on the Canada Southern Line. Unfortunalty CSX traffic has dimished greatly since the mid 1990's.
Sarnia-Erieau Subdivision #2
Construction of this line began in 1879 by the Erie & Lake Huron Railway starting in the south near Rondeau working it's way northward towards Blenheim, Chatham, Dresden and Wallaceburg before terminating in Sarnia. This was the areas first North-South rail line. Construction was slow in progressing, reaching only to Wallaceburg by 1833. By 1886 the line finnaly reached Sarnia and construction also began on docking and harbour facilities on Rondeau Bay at Erieau this was finshed in about 1889. By 1898 the Erie & Lake Huron Railway was purchased by the the Lake Erie & Detroit River Railway who already operated a line from Walkerville to St. Thomas. (more on this line latter) By 1903 the Lake Erie & Detroit River Railway was purchased by the Pere Marquette who operated the lines unitll they where ultimalty bought out by the C&O in 1947, from then on the C&O formed the Chessie system in 1973 who in turn became the CSX railway in the 1980's. The Belnhim to Erieau section of the line was abbandoned in the mid 1970's.
Walkerville-St.Thomas subdivision #1
This line was originally constructed by the Lake Erie, Essex & Detroit Railway starting in Walkerville in 1887. Leamington was reached in 1889 fallowed shortly by reaching Ridgetown in 1893. This was the end of the line untill the end of the century when construction resumed to St. Thomas completed in 1901. By reaching St. Thomas connections where made to the Canada Southern and the London & Port Stanley railway. In 1903 Pere Marquette purchesd the Lake Erie, Essex & Detroit Railway and this included rail line. Pere Marquette was bought out by the C&O in 1947, from then on the C&O formed the Chessie system in 1973 who in turn became the CSX railway in the 1980's. When costly maintenance to key bridges on the line were needed, CSX quickly abbonded the entire line, now controlling both subdivisions, sub #1 had become surplus. The line was abondoned in the fallowing order: St. Thomas to West Lorne in 1988, Kingsville to Harrow in 1991, Harrow to Walkerville and from Kingsville to Blenheim in 1994, and from Blenheim to West Lorne in 1996.
CASO running rights