In the early morning hours of December 4, 1906, fire completely destroyed the the Preston & Berlin Railway and Galt, Preston & Hespeler Street Railway Preston carbarns. Eight passenger cars and a new $12,000 freight motor were lost.
Almost immediately, four passenger cars were ordered from the Ottawa Car Co., along with one freight motor from Baldwin-Westinghouse. Built in 1907 with serial 28042, second 20 had a steel frame with a wood cab. First 20 was one of the passenger cars destroyed in the fire. Renumbered 224 in 1914, this motor was rebuilt with a steel cab in 1921.
This 1928 view of 224 at Preston clearly shows the apparatus, installed on the end platforms, to which a snow plow could be attached when required. It appears that only two motors were so equipped, GRR 224 and LE&N 333. In both cases, the plow apparatus was later removed.
In April 1951, 224 was rebuilt, equipped for MU operation, and repainted CPR tuscan red at Preston, being the last locomotive in the Pullman green paint.
Sold to Iowa Terminal Railway of Mason City, IA as #62 in 1963, it was scrapped in 1973 by Mr. Stearns at Emery, IA.
GRR 224 blocks traffic on King Street West in front of the CP Electric Lines Head Office