|GRAND RIVER RAILWAY 844|
844 is one of seven all-steel passenger cars delivered to the GRR by Preston Car & Coach in the 1921 modernization program. These cars were 63 feet 8 1/2 inches long, 9 feet 6 inches wide and 13 feet 4 5/8 inches in height to the top of the trolley board. The inside trim was mahogany with white enamlled composition head lining. The cars weighed 48 tons fully equipped with a seating capacity of 68 including a smoking compartment of 22 seats and were geared for a top speed of 50 MPH.
This view was taken January 22, 1955 at the Preston Shops. The original white Gothic lettering was later changed to the C.P.R.'s yellow gold Roman seen here.
In an attempt to be more visible at grade crossings, the cars were painted with black and yellow checker boards below the windows on the car ends. This was modified with yellow being applied above the checker boards, up around the windows to the roof line. This gave way to striping, still black and yellow, extending from the middle of the ends downwards on a 45 degree angle. Later the striping was extended to the sides of the cars as in the above view. Some cars never received the stripe scheme and not all had the stripes extended onto the sides.
Attempts were made to sell the steel cars after passenger service was discontinued on the GRR, but the cars were found to be too heavy for most properties. The C.P.R. decided to proceed with scrapping of the cars for salvage. After useable parts were removed, the cars were set afire to burn out the interiors. The steel shell was then cut up for scrap. 844 was destroyed on October 4, 1956.