|LAKE ERIE & NORTHERN RAILWAY 335|
335 sits in front of the Grand River Railway shops in Preston on a sunny August 12, 1961. This view shows the locomotive after its final rebuild, in the GRR shops, that created three windows on the cab ends for better visibility, and the removal of the middle side window to gave a larger area for displaying the road name.
Built in September 1915 by Baldwin-Westinghouse, serial 42475 was delivered new as LE&N #50, equipped with a pantograph and two trolley poles. The poles were mounted off to either side of the 'pant' and were bent in a way so as to clear the pantograph. Only two motors were built this way for the LE&N #60 (later 333) and #50 (later 335). This arrangement lasted until 1921 when single pole operation was adopted.
In September 1962, 335 was sold to the Cornwall Street Railway, Cornwall, Ontario and renumbered 16. Following its retirement, CSR 16 was acquired by Halton County Radial Railway museum, Milton, Ontario. It has been returned to its original identity, LE&N 335, and is slated for further restoration as time permits.