|LE&N 337 MU'd WITH GRR 228 AT PRESTON|
Built by Preston Car & Coach in 1921, MU'd freight motors LE&N 337 and GRR 228 are seen here, on an overcast August 6, 1961, crossing the Speed River on a curved trestle bridge immediately east of the Preston Junction station. They are in charge of a ballast train for the new track diversion in eastend Kitchener. Highway 8 was being widened and relocated onto lands occupied by the GRR right-of-way between Centreville to a point approximately 1000 yards east of Kitchener Junction station. The new GRR line would now turn in a southerly direction at Centerville, paralleling Fairview Road on the east side, until it connected up with the Canadian National line. With trackage rights over a short portion of the CNR, the GRR was able to reach its own lines to serve its customers in Kitchener and Waterloo.
LE&N 337 was sold to the Iowa Terminal Railway, Mason City, IA, in January 1963,
GRR 228 was sold to the Iowa Terminal Railway, Mason City, IA, in July 1963