|LAKE ERIE & NORTHERN RAILWAY 975|
Ten new all-steel cars were delivered to the CP Electric Lines by Preston Car & Coach in 1921 as part of a modernization program. Two were assigned to the Lake Erie & Northern and numbered 973 and 975. These cars had an over-all length of 63 feet 8 1/2 inches, a width of 9 feet 6 inches and a height of 13 feet 4 5/8 inches to the top of the trolley board. The inside trim was mahogany with white enamelled composition head lining. The cars weighed 48 tons fully equipped with a seating capacity of 68, including a smoking compartment of 22 seats, and were geared for a top speed of 50 MPH.
In the view above, LE&N 975 sits at the Galt C.P.R. Depot on the track used by the Galt to Port Dover car.
The electric line cars, one from Port Dover, one from Kitchener, and a Canadian Pacific Transport Co. bus, connected with C.P.R. mainline passenger trains here. The trolleys ceased operation on April 23, 1955. The bus connection continued until June 19, 1961.
Car 975 was scrapped at Preston on October 17, 1956, after the interior of the car had been burned out in preparation for scrapping.
|INTERIOR VIEW OF L.E.&N. 975|
|A cute, well behaved child and his mother are the only passengers aboard LE&N 975 on |
July 2, 1944 as daddy takes their picture.