|LONDON & PORT STANLEY RAILWAY 8|
This car was built by the Jewett Car Company in Newark, Ohio in 1915, however much of the detail work and electrical installation was done by the Preston Car & Coach Company in Preston, Ontario. One of four cars built for the opening of the L&PS as a high-speed electric railway, when the line was electrified in 1915, it is a heavy car weighing in at 46 tons. Cost per car was $18,259.
This car was completely gutted by fire on January 4, 1926 near Stop 13 as the result of an electrical short circuit. Pictures of the burned out car can be found in the book, 'The London & Port Stanley Railway Volume Two', by Leslie J. Torrens. The car was rebuilt that same year and remained in passenger service until 1957. Les Torrens states in the same book that the decorative leaded (stained) glass windows were never put back into the car (following rebuilding after the fire).
L&PS 8 was purchased from the Province of Ontario by the Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association in 1968. It arrived at their museum in 1971.
The car is seen here on September 3, 1972 at the Halton County Radial Railway museum at Milton, Ontario, pulling into the museums west end station. During the summer of 2000, the exterior of this car was completely repainted and relettered right down to the City of London crest. The stained glass, missing from the car in this view, was re-installed in the mid 1990's. #8 now appears as it did when brand new in 1915 and is the only piece of L&PS equipment still in operation.