|LONDON & PORT STANLEY RAILWAY EXPRESS MOTOR E1|
Southbound express motor, E1, crosses over the Canadian National / Wabash diamond at St. Thomas. Built by Preston Car & Coach Company in 1915, E1 cost $13,321.22. Of wood construction with a wood frame, it had an overall length of 61 feet.
On occasion, E1 would be used as a freight locomotive, although it could only handle two or three light cars. It was scrapped around 1954 after being involved in collision with one of the electric freight locomotives.
Date of this photo is unknown but may be c.1950. It will be noted that one pantograph is missing, maybe due to it being damaged or it might have been needed for another car or freight locomotive. A photo on page 19 of the book, 'The London & Port Stanley Railway 1915-1965: A Picture History' by W. Glen Curnoe, shows E1 c.1950 lacking the same pantograph. Behind E1, on the north-west corner of the diamond is the CNR roundhouse.