|NIAGARA, ST. CATHARINES & TORONTO 130|
In 1914, the Preston Car & Coach** Preston Car & Coach Co. built six wood interurban cars for the NS&T, the first on the line capable of multiple-unit operation. Originally numbered 129 to 134, the first three cars were straight passenger with a Pullman-style smoking compartment at one end with a side corridor. The last three cars were combination baggage-passenger with the baggage area occupying the position of the smoking area in the passenger cars. The baggage area was accessible from one side of the car only. In 1929, car 129 was renumbered 135.
Originally painted a bright red and grey, in later years a few of the cars were repainted in CNR green. The interiors were finished in varnished oak with light wood inlay, and a green ceiling with gold leaf design. The '130 series' were popular with railfans, often being referred to as the 'Preston cars'. NS&T personnel referred to them as the 'main-line cars'. During its career, 132 received steel sheathing which included covering over the arched upper sash windows. This gave the car a unique and a more modern appearance. It was also converted for one-man operation, as was car 130.
The above view was taken May 23, 1955 at the NS&T Welland Avenue shops in St. Catharines. It is most unfortunate that the original slide showed signs of mildew when Lorne Hymers allowed me to have it copied in March 1968.
Following its retirment, 130 was donated to the Rail City Museum at Sandy Pond, NY. The August 1970 issue of the Upper Canada Railway Society 'Newsletter' states that 130 was scrapped at the Magee Transportation Museum, at Bloomsburg, PA (likely in 1970). The seats, trucks, motors and electrical equipment were to be installed on former Lehigh Valley Transit 801, a Jewett built car. LVT freight motor C15 was also to receive some parts removed from 130. According to Canadian Rail No. 419 November-December 1990, 130 sat at Sandy Pond where the car deteriorated and was severely vandalized. Someone even took a chain saw and cut through every window post. It continues to say that the Seashore Trolley Museum needed trucks for recently acquired Rochester and Sodus Bay 113. 130 had the type of trucks needed and so the car was jacked up and the trucks removed on September 12, 1989 and later taken to Seashore, the carbody apparently being left to rot. Car 131 was scrapped in May 1949, 132 in April 1949, 133 retired in 1935 and scrapped in 1942, 134 in 1950 after a long retirement, while 135 (ex 129) was retired in June 1949. The body was purchased by Ross G. Snetsinger and moved to a farm near London. After Mr. Snetsinger passed away the body was apparently scrapped.
** Link to Preston Car & Coach on THE RAILWAY ROLLING STOCK INDUSTRY IN CANADA: A History of 110 Years of Canadian Railway Car Building by Andrew Merrilees.