|NIAGARA, ST. CATHARINES & TORONTO|
EXPRESS MOTORS 40 and 41
The NS&T purchased Cleveland & Eastern Traction 55 in 1926, and Cleveland, Painesville & Ashtabula 60 in 1927. These two express motors became NS&T 40(2nd) and 41 respectively. Their acquisition came about as a result of the termination of passenger, mail and express service over the C.N.R.'s line on the east bank of the Welland Canal May 1, 1927. The NS&T introduced a new service, using the newly acquired express motors, connecting with the C.N.R. at Merritton. To accommodate passengers, trailer #90 was coupled to the express motors, being the only trailer on the system which was equipped with controls, thus it could operate as the first car on a train. This practice was discontinued on April 25, 1937 when a highway bus service was introduced.
#40 is seen in the dark red colour scheme adopted about 1939, while 41 exhibits the standard C.N.R. green scheme applied to the passenger equipment after the arrival of the 620 series cars.
The disposition for 40(2nd) is unknown while 41 was moved to the C.N.R. London Reclamation Yard in 1959 for scrapping.