TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway 1930-1961
This site is best viewed on monitor set to 800 x 600 high colour

Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto Railway
1930-1961

Compiled by Peter D.A. Warwick


  • January 15, 1931 St. Catharines - Niagara-On-The-Lake line terminated, freight service cut back to Port Weller and rest of line torn up, replaced by bus; local streetcar service as far as Carlton Street.

  • May 31, 1931 Low Line service between St. Catharines, Merritton and Thorold ended being replaced by buses.

  • April, 1932 St. Catharines - Niagara-On-The-Lake bus service sold.

  • 1938 St. Catharines streetcar service on former Niagara-On-The-Lake line cut back to Gratham Avenue.

  • February 26, 1939 St. Catharines streetcar service terminated and replaced by buses, Port Dalhousie line continued.

  • September 27, 1940 Tower Inn Terminal closed and torn down to make way for Rainbow Bridge, right-of-way down Newman Hill from Victoria became westbound lane of Highway 420.

  • November 27, 1940 St. Catharines - Niagara Falls interurban service ended and replaced by buses, except for one round trip for commuters (this ended June 10, 1941).

  • April 1, 1942 St. Catharines streetcar service restored as a war time measure.

  • November 15, 1942 regular interurban service between St. Catharines and Niagara Falls resumed as a war time measure (rush-hour service started April 27, 1942).

  • March 30, 1946 regular Facer Street and Victoria Lawn streetcar service in St. Catharines replaced by buses, extras continued on these lines.

  • May 12, 1947 streetcar service on Lundy's Lane beyond Main Street, Niagara Falls, replaced by buses.

  • September 9, 1947 final streetcar runs on Victoria Lawn and Ontario Street lines in St. Catharines.

  • September 13, 1947 interurban service between St. Catharines and Niagara Falls ended for good and replaced by buses.

  • November 26, 1947 remaining streetcar service in Niagara Falls replaced by buses.

  • May 7, 1948 final streetcar run on Facer Street line in St. Catharines.

  • June 2, 1949 Northumberland burned at the dock at Port Dalhousie, one day before starting summer service.

  • 1950 Lakeside Park and Dalhousie City sold.

  • February 28, 1950 St. Catharines - Port Dalhousie suburban service ends and replace by buses.

  • April 21, 1950 Dalhousie City left Port Dalhousie for the last time (renamed Island King II. Burned at Lachine, Quebec, November 24, 1960).

  • December 3, 1955 St. Catharines - Niagara Falls bus line sold to The Canada Coach Lines Ltd. (now Trentway-Wagar).

  • March 28, 1959 Thorold - Fonthill - Welland - Port Colborne interurban lines ended, last interurban in Canada.

  • July, 1960 end of electric freight operation on the NS&T, freight operation converted to diesels.

  • October 15, 1960 Greater Niagara Transit Commission takes over local NS&T bus service in Niagara Falls.

  • September 1, 1961 St. Catharines Transit Commission takes over local NS&T bus service in St. Catharines and Thorold. Technically at this time it was called Canadian National Transportation Limited, but it was NS&T.



Pre NS&T| |1899 to 1929| |Bibliography| |NS&T Page| |Home Page


TrainWeb.org Facebook Page