|ST. CLAIR TUNNEL COMPANY 9176 with 9153, 9156 and 9154|
In 1927, the Chicago, South Shore & South Bend Railroad (formerly the Chicago, Lake Shore & South Bend Railway) converted its power from AC to a 1500 volt DC system. It was decided not to convert locomotives 505-506, but put them up for sale. They were purchased by the St. Clair Tunnel Company in March 1927 where they became road numbers 9175-9176. These were rated at 700 hp with a starting tractive effort of 36,000 lbs. Length of the locomotive was just over 39 feet. 9176 remained in service until electric operations ceased and was scrapped at Hamilton, Ontario in April 1959.
This undated view is believed to have been taken in Sarnia.