AND HARVEY TRAILER - 'Q' CLASS - 2783
Sixty large Peter Witt cars added to the TTC fleet in 1923. These were built by Canadian Car & Foundry and numbered 2900 to 3018 (even). A large Witt has six windows between the front and centre doors; seven back of the centre doors. The small Witt has five and six respectively.
Seen here is the operation of the final trailer train in North America, April 4, 1954. 2932 and 2783 pose on the east loop of the Canadian National Exhibition Grounds, while below we see them at the Long Branch Loop.
A total of 225 non-motorized trailers were acquired by the Toronto Transportation Commission between 1921 and 1923. They were similar in appearance to the motorized Peter Witt cars which were used to pull them.
Sixty two-door trailers were delivered in 1921 numbered 2301 to 2419 (odd numbers only). These cars had a seating capacity of 64. The two-door arrangement soon proved to be inadequate, especially in rush hours, owing to the fact that they had single width doors while the motor cars had double width doors. As a result the lead car was loaded and ready to move, while passengers were still filing onto the trailer.
David W. Harvey, later manager of the T.T.C., designed a three-door trailer by adding a door beside the forward door of the two-door design. The single door to the rear of the conductor continued to be used as an exit only, while the forward or third door was to be used always as an entrance. The other part of the forward entrance could be used as either an entrance or exit at the discretion of the conductor who sat between the front and rear doors. The three-door cars were referred to as 'Harvey trailers', 165 being purchased numbered 2701 to 3029 (odd numbers only).