Butte County RR (Southern Pacific Stirling City Branch)
The BCRR was incorporated in Feb of 1903 with construction beginning in March. By November, Southern Pacific
had purchased the imcomplete line and leased it back to BCRR. The line was completed in 1904 and operated by BCRR
until the end of their lease on Dec 01, 1915. At this point SP took over operations and this lasted until the 1970's.
These views follow the former Sterling City Branch from Barber Yard towards Highway 99 and eventually Sterling City.
Only two buildings and part of a third still stand at the old Diamond Match Plant in Barber,CA.
1. Paradise,CA depot. Only a small portion of structure is original.
2. Ex ATSF caboose on display next to Paradise,CA depot. Lettered for Butte Co RR.
3.& 4. Plaques about the depot and railroad in Paradise.
5.& 6. South and north views along row/bike path in Paradise.
1. Starting at the split for the loop at Stirling City, we follow up the east branch first.
2. The line crosses Retson Rd and enters Clotilde Merlo Park.
3. Within the park the line passes between two ponds.
4. The line passes out of the park at the far side and heads through overgrown woods to the mill site.
5. On the west side, Looking back towards the split, this is the site of the SP depot. Appox where my car sits.
6. Again looking back towards the depot site, the line passes through these more recently planted trees.
7. Going towards the mill site, here is the mill pond.
8. The main line passes to the right of the mill site.