TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
Mount Emily Lumber- Camp Elkanah


Mount Emily Lumber Company
Camp Elkanah


An overview of Camp Elkanah. John Henderson photo, Jeff Moore collection.



As noted on the main page, the Mt. Emily Lumber Company moved their principle woods camp to its final location in 1930. The camp- generally known as Starkey Camp, Company Camp, or Headquarters Camp- was in operation until it closed along with the logging railroad in 1955. The camp at its height housed 150 or more people and consisted of 10-14 camp cars; 40 skid shacks; a company store; office; shops for trucks, tractors, and the railroad; and a school. In 1956 the Templeton family donated the camp to the Blue Mountain Conservative Baptist Association, who converted the facilites to the present Camp Elkanah. Ten camp cars are still part of the camp, nine of them still on railroad wheels, and a dozen skid shacks are still on site. The company store is now the camp's canteen and recreation hall.

Specifics on the ten camp cars still at the camp are as follows. Car names are those applied by the Baptists after acquiring the camp.

Joppa and Samaria: GN #210625 and #215337, 40-foot boxc car frames, built 6/1895 and 1915. These two cars are grafted into one building connected by an entryway and had been the camp schoolhouse.

Bethel: Mt. Emily Lumber #261476, former GN same number. 40-foot flatcar body, no trucks. Capacity 60,000 lbs; Weight 25,000 pounds; Built 1/1899. Divided into two compartments with two side doors.

Camp Elkanah Office and Health Center: Mt. Emily Lumber #261498, former GN same number. 40-foot flatcar. Capacity 60,000 lbs; Weight 25,000 pounds; Built 1/1899. Car has a placard reading "Handle Only at Rear End of Train" and "Received at Albina 7/26/1925".

Dining Hall 1, Kitchen Car: Mt. Emily Lumber #17, former GN 40-foot flat car. Weight 24,000 pounds.

Dining Hall 2, Dining Car: Mt. Emily Lumber #16, former GN #3259?. 40-foot flatcar. Capacity 60,000 lbs.; Weight 24,000 lbs.; G.A.A. 1/8/24. Both this and the Kitchen Car above are connected into one building two cars long with a large addition to one side.

Craft Hall: Great Northern #210707, 40-foot boxcar frame, Built 6/1895. Had been a second dining car.

Bethlehem: Mt. Emily Lumber #261568, former GN same number. 40-foot flatcar. Capacity 60,000 lbs.; Weight 24,200 lbs.;p Built 1899; Rebuilt 6/1916.

Damascus: Great Northern #211014?. 40-foot boxcar frame, Built 6/1895.

Bethany: Mt. Emily Lumber #261521, former GN same number. 40-foot flatcar. Capacity 60,000 lbs.; Weight 23,700 lbs.; Built 6/1899. Carries same placards as Camp Elkanah office.




Trucks visible underneath one of the community camp halls. John Henderson photo, Jeff Moore collection.


The kitchen and dining cars. John Henderson photo, Jeff Moore collection.


The Joppa and Samaria cars, formerly the camp schoolhouse. John Henderson photo, Jeff Moore collection.


A line of camp cars still on their trucks. John Henderson photo, Jeff Moore collection.


One of the bunk cars, note the couplers still in place. John Henderson photo, Jeff Moore collection.


Another bunk car. Tom Moungovan photo.


A close up of one of the trucks underneath one of the cars. John Henderson photo, Jeff Moore collection.


The outside hung brake beams still in place on a car. John Henderson photo, Jeff Moore collection.


Most of the brake cylinders on the cars still have air test date stenciles from the middle 1920s. John Henderson photo, Jeff Moore collection.


A skid shack still on skids. John Henderson photo, Jeff Moore collection.


Another skid shack in the camp. John Henderson photo, Jeff Moore collection.