TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
Walla Walla Valley Railroad


Walla Walla Valley Railroad



Walla Walla Valley diesel #770 on a turntable, likely in Walla Walla. John Henderson photograph, Jeff Moore collection.


The Walla Walla Valley Valley Traction Company was incorporated on 7 April 1907. The bulk of the company's operations lay in and around Walla Walla, Washington, but the company did build a branch south to Milton- Freewater, Oregon, which rates the company brief mention on this site.

The company initially operated as an electrified interurban railroad. The name of the company changed to the Walla Walla Valley Railway Company in 1910, and the Northern Pacific acquired control of the company in 1921. Passenger operations lasted until 1931. Electric operations lasted until 1950, when a pair of Alco diesels replaced the electric operations. An EMD SW-1 diesel lettered for Burlington Northern eventually replaced the Alcos. The railroad survived on agricultural traffic until 1985, when continued low business forced the abandonment of the entire line.