|Click on thumbnail to enlarge.
Use to return to this page.
In this north facing view, the Dutchess & Columbia passenger depot
is seen at its original position to the south of the Borden's Creamery. The depot would
later be moved to the diamond after theNew York & New England and
theDutchess County Railroad made Hopewell a true junction. The
depot still stands (though having suffered much damage)and is now owned by the Hopewell
Depot Restoration Group.
The village of Hopewell is seen to the left, along Railroad Avenue, where many of these same buildings still stand.
Note that by 1910, the date of this picture, the passenger depot had been moved to its
present location. The large structure to the left is the Borden’s Creamery. The frame
house to its right was owned by the Borden's Company and served as lodging for the
company inspectors that frequented the creameries along the many rail lines in Dutchess
Part of the helper engine service facility can be seen to the right.
|This view looks up the tracks beyond the Creamery to the junction. To the right, one of several engine houses that were found at various times in Hopewell Junction is seen busily servicing locomotives. Apparently at the time of this photo, there was still a turntable in use. As locomotives got larger, the turntable would be removed, as equipment could be turned on the wye to the north of the junction.|
|Someone wrote the word “Bordens” on the photograph. This view shows the side of the creamery opposite the rail docks. This photograph shows milk cans being delivered to the creamery through the wagon access dock. A later addition would extend the creamery to the left.|
The Borden’s Public Relations Office was gracious enough to send a couple of old pictures
that they had in their files of the creamery at Hopewell Junction. This panoramic view
is actually several photographs spliced together.
This view shows the creamery from the side to which the farmers would deliver their milk. The new addition is to the left. The tracks in the foreground are the tracks that allowed New York & New England trains from Connecticut to use their trackage rights on the (by then) Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut railroad to access their ferry dock at Fishkill Landing (present day Beacon).
|This is also a photograph sent by Borden’s Public Relations Office. This view looks to the north showing the rail docks.Farther up the tracks you can see the passenger depot on the right and the freight station on the left.|
|An interesting comparison can be made between the Borden's Creamery in Hopewell Junction and one that was found in Fort Ann on the D&H. I found this picture on the website owned by the Rensselaer Model Railroad Society . Note the similar construction of the ventilators and cupolas.|
|This gas-powered railbus was used to transport students in the 1920's and 30's via the railroad. They came from rural areas as far away as Millbrook to attend the high school in the "big city" of Beacon before the creation of other Dutchess County school districts. The bus also supplied other people with transportation and had a section for baggage. Here it is seen in the river yard next to the New York Central main in Beacon. The bridge carried auto and wagon traffic across the tracks to the stations and ferry terminal.|
|Locomotive #125 of the New York & New England occupies track next to the Newburgh, Dutchess, and Connecticut headquarters and station in Matteawan (Beacon) in this turn of the century postcard. The station is still in use, though not for railroad purposes. During a recent renovation, many records of the Newburgh, Dutchess, and Connecticut were found and have provided much new information about the railroad.|
|HOPEWELL JUNCTION MODEL RAILROAD CLUB|