WABASH TRACKSIDE WITH EMERY GULASH-1954-1974
GENERAL CORRECTIONS AND ADDITIONS
Remarks initiated March 13, 2004. Corrections from Dave Ingles are noted as (JDI).
p. 6, the connection in the southeast quadrant at Milwaukee Junction should be shown in the shade of green used to denote Wabash ownership, not gray. This was an isolated piece of Wabash ownership which had a few small industries on it and was a relic of the days (starting in 1897) when Wabash used Grand Trunk's ferries to Windsor before Wabash began running their own ferries in 1912, from the Boat Yard connecting off the Union Belt. Presumably the Wabash Bar cat-a-corner of GTW's Brush Street Station was also a relic of this 1897-1912 period (see GTW Steam & Green p. 125)
p. 7, with regard to "nothing left but the grin," the Wabash corporation was not finally dissolved and merged into NS until 1991.
p.17 The map of Delray incorrectly identifies the MC industrial spur passing close to the tower as serving the MC Delray freight station. That freight station was to the right on the map, south of Wabash Delray Yard and the produce terminal. This spur, and a Wabash spur on similar alignment which was later used jointly by MC to replace the one shown on the map, served the St. Mary's Cement plant on the River Rouge. (Jim Hediger)
p.33 Photos are by J. A. Pinkepank
p.38 645 does have nose m.u. after all; the box cuts the yellow nose line just to the unit's left of the headlight.
p.40 The cross reference is supposed to be to pp. 54-57, not 34-37.
p.43-45 Wabash did not cross Oakwood Boulevard, which runs parallel and to the north. The bridge in the top photo p. 43 is at the west end of Oakwood yard over the intersection of Outer Drive and Allen Road. This is also the bridge in the spread on pp. 44-45. The bridge in the bottom photo p. 43 appears to be Schaefer Road seen looking northwest at the eastern portion of the yard, which would make this an arriving train rather than a departing one. (Jeff Feldmeier)
p.63 The specially painted N&W units are GP38AC's, not GP35's (JDI).
p.65 The dating of the scene of the Sportsman passing the tower (which was based on the processing date of the slide, as must usually be the case with Emery's slides) is called into question by the early development of leaves on the trees, suggesting April, making the light conditions appropriate for the Sportsman. (JDI)
p. 70 The middle unit of the train being led past Romulus tower by U25B 3521 is a GP40, not an ex-Wabash GP35. (JDI)
p. 71 Train number for the Cannon Ball in 1957 should be no. 1, not no. 3 (JDI)
p. 76 The distance from Toledo Union Station to Wabash Tower is .40 mile, not a mile as stated (JDI)
p. 80, see note for p. 71 (but the correct train number is given on pp. 83-84 for the same train, same day) (JDI).
p. 83 No photo has come to light of the The City of St. Louis train name actually applied in the block apparently provided for the purpose on the 1001-1001A, but the City of Kansas City name was applied to E7A 1000. The 1001 pair did go through to Denver at least once and were photographed there by Dick Kindig with the name panels blank (JDI).
pp. 86-90 These photos were all made on the on a trip with Emery made by John Ingles, his son David, and Hank Goerke in Emery's station wagon. The photos on pp. 86-88 were made on the same weekend day. The tower where the Wabash crossed the PRR in Ft. Wayne east of the depots was named "Mike". GP7 452 (p.88) had its short hood numerals in the gray portion, probably the only Wabash geep with this anomaly (see 472 on p. 90 for the normal position). There needs to be a tabulation done of the number of Wabash geeps with steam generators but contrary to the statement here, they were not the majority, preliminary information indicating 12 out of 33 GP7's, although it may have been as many as 9 out of 12 GP9's (if so, 21 out of 45 geeps were "torpedo boats") (JDI).
pp. 92-99 These photos were made by Dave Ingles, and are a rare (early) case where he did not stamp them with his name. There are several corrections:
*Probably due to pre-holiday traffic, no. 4 operated separately instead of being combined with 124 as was by then the normal operation. The top photo on p. 93 is no. 4 arriving (passing Milliken University), running as second no. 124, with first 124, the Blue Bird, having carried green signals.
*The two page spread on 92-93 is no. 124 leaving, not arriving. The green signals were taken down at Decatur since no. 4 assumed its schedule there. The photo was made from the steps of Wabic tower.
*The City of Kansas City had indeed lost its observation car to the Banner Blue as shown on p. 95 but it was not coach only in 1960, still advertising its dome coach and full diner. By 1962 it had coaches and a buffet-coach which continued until N&W discontinued it in early 1968. The photo of no. 111 on p. 95 was made at Mosser St. Tower, where the Hannibal and St. Louis lines divide
*On p. 97, the Train Master is probably returning from Litchfield, on the St. Louis line, rather than from the Hannibal line as stated. The Springfield line local went through to Hannibal, not a turn, with one local originating at each end 6 days per week. *On page 98-99, the ITC train is coming from Springfield, not leaving for Champaign. The Champaign train to the east was usually only one unit by 1960 and would not pass this point as the ITC yard was in the northeast end of Decatur. This train will go by the Wabash's big Decatur yard on the passenger main line to a new connection built east of Brush College Tower when ITC got off its own belt line for through trains (much of the belt was still in for local industry work at this time, although it was not connected at the west end to the Springfield line, since the through trains were on Wabash rights, due to new highway construction of US 36) This train will go through that new connection, north from the Wabash alignment and then head west into the ITC yard, entering the yard on the track as it it was a westbound train returning from Champaign. The Wabash building behind the ITC units is not the Division HQ but the Wabash Employees Credit Union; it was replaced by a two story brick structure in the early 1960's. The Wabash Decatur Division HQ was out by the locomotive shop, a brick building that is used by NS as a dispatcher's office. At the time of the photo the Wabash dispatchers were on the second floor of the passenger depot. (All, JDI)
p. 100-101 All photos are by J.A. Pinkepank
p. 105 Wabash had one dual control passenger GP9, 495 (number needs confirmation), originally for use on the Chicago-Orland Park suburban train. (JDI)
Back to Welcome Page