- Typical Public Statement:
- The old Narragansett Pier RR turntable should be a part of the
- part of the bike path, likely a sitting area, with a plaque?
- One other suggestion...It was great that the Kingston tower
- was saved and relocated. However, I think the old tower could
- a more useful purpose if it was relocated from its current
- to the point where the new bike path begins...likely near the
- turntable. The tower could be used as a information booth or
- for the bike bath. I am afraid that the tower may not survive
- in current location if not used a regularly basis.
- Friends Position:
- The Friends made a point to advise the RIDOT that this and
- elements were part of the history of the site. The turntable
- part of the bike path, likely a sitting area. A plaque would
be a nice idea.
- But we have not addressed that detail to the bike path. The
Bike path project
- is a separate project under the RIDOT.
- We did recommend to the RIDOT in (1989), that the property
south of the station
- be purchased to include extending the bike path to the depot
and not terminating
- it at Liberty Lane, which was the states original proposal.
- Some of us were part of the West Kingston Civic Asso. at the
time (1984) we
- worked to save the tower. The state did plan to include the
tower to the
- to the station side (1994) but the funding fell short of doing
this as we uncovered
- some unexpected problems on the station during phase one.
- The Friends have also had the wood benches restored and
plaqued. They are
- being stored at Arnolds Lumber till the depot is ready. We
- the granite supports from the basement of the station be saved
and used on
- the site. We called for reinstalling the granite tie posts on
the circle, which
- were put in this week with new metal tie rods.
- We also have the Train Board, and a NPRR restored baggage
- We are still hoping the the tower can be relocated to the
station side, and
- the RIDOT has assured us that they have included a place for
it to be installed
- which would be about 20-30 feet north of the station but back
from tracks. We
- recommended it would be useful as an ATM machine site. This
area provides higher
- visibility and less likely assaults from vandals...which is on
- Jack McCabe was instrumental intervening to save the block
- which Amtrak was about to dispose. It is now back over to
where it started in
- the tower. Someday we could maybe set it back upstairs for
- Please keep and eye on our web page to keep up to date
- Our membership fee is $10 per year and includes the
- Thanks for your interest
- Martha McCabe
- Friends of Kingston Station Inc. Board