- Looking Back on History at Kingston
- by J.P. McCabe
- The Kingston Railroad Station
was built on its current site in 1875.The Victorian wood frame
construction is typical of rural rail depots of that period. Many
of its users are unaware of the fact that the originial Kingston
Railroad Station was once located about one quarter mile to the
- at Waites Corner Road. It predates
the current depot , we believe by about 30 years.
- The current Kingston Railroad
Station which was a new structure on the east side of the main
line and about half way between Waites Corner Road and Liberty
Lane, was established for the ease of passenger traffic which
was mainly to the east and south. And it was also necessary to
have much more yard space available for the emerging Narragansett
Railroad line at that time, (circa 1875).
- The current Station has been
in continuous use as a Passenger Depot. In 1974, after witnessing
the structure fall into dispair for several years, a concerned
citizens group organized in the community to find a way to refurbish
the Station. They were called the Friends of the Kingston Railroad
Station. The volunteer group of "Friends" as they were quickly
shortened to by name, were successful in scraping and repainting
the weather worn old building, and in making a revitalized facility
for both the community and Amtrak passengers to use and behold.
- All of this work was completed
in the year of 1974, with the assistance of the Penn Central Railroad
and the then emerging Amtrak Passenger Railroad. However, one
of the most significant actions that came about was the "Friends"
decision to seek historic protection for the venerable old and
much loved depot. In 1975, the Kingston Station was placed under
the protection of the Register of Historic Places and a bronze
plaque donated in its honor. It was also redicated during that
time by several politicians including past Senator Clayborne Pell
and Senator John Chafee of Rhode Island.