You are invited to a big
Sunday, May 31, 1998
NEWLY REFURBISHED HISTORIC KINGSTON
P40,P42,#40 STEAM ENGINE,VIEWLINER
SLEEPER,AMTRAK COACH, MP15 OR GP ENGINE
- Members of the Friends of Kingston Station are
invited to the Grand Celebration of the station's reconstruction.
Join hundreds of local citizens as we revel in the excitement of
completing a decade's work. Our dear old friend, the Kingston
Station has never looked finer.
- In addition to meeting the state's major
political leaders, you will witness what is promised to be the
last ever live steam locomotive event at Kingston Station. Amtrak
is enthusiastically working with the Friends and the Valley
Railroad in Essex, CT to provide an equipment display that
includes the Valley Railroads steam locomotive No. 40, one of
Amtrak's newest P42 diesel locomotives, and a new Viewliner
sleeping car. Other highlights of the day include:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - -
- The Providence Brigade
Band, which features Civil War Era music
- The Wakefield Civic
- The South Kingstown
High School Chorus
- Antique Autos
- Fire apparatus on
- Book signing by Stella
E. Burns of Wakefield, author of The Lonesome Whistle's
- Food vendors of many
- And much, much
- Festivities run from
10 AM to 5 PM, with ceremonies and equipment display from Noon to
- The Friends are doing most of the work in
planning and coordinating this event. Friends Board of Directors
members Martha McCabe, Frank Heppner, Dave Whelan, and Jack McCabe
have been doing yeoman's work in getting this event pulled
together. But, for it to happen smoothly, we need more
- Please help us out any way you can!
- We need your help to:
- Plan the final details of the celebration
- Cover dozens of activities the day of the event
- We will need your help with activities such as:
- Promoting this celebration in your neighborhood
- Make and post signs to guide visitors around during the event
- Set up before the event, including the Friend's own exhibit.
- Direct exhibitors and vendors to their assigned locations
- Direct visitors to the main parking lot at the American Power
Conversion (APC) plant on Fairgrounds Road
- Help people onto the free "parking lot to Station" shuttle
bus, being provided by RIPTA
- Help with security, trash pick-up, and coordination
- Clean up when it is over
- The Friend's Board of Directors are meeting regularly to plan
this event. Please join us!
- Over the years many members of the Friends have asked: "What
can I do to help the cause?" Well, this is your chance! Please
call Martha McCabe at 789-5374 to find out how you can help.
You'll be glad you did.
- The next planning meeting for this celebration will be at 7:15
PM, Monday, April 27th, in the Station. Please join us.