NORM Events & Schedules
This is a listing of Museum Member events for the year 2017 (see the Museum's newsletter, The Northern Light, for more details).
Museum Schedule of Events
Public Walking Tours. Museum grounds are open to the public on Saturdays, from the first Saturday in May through the last Saturday of October from 10 AM to 4 PM. Tours will be conducted every hour on the half hour starting at 10:30 AM and running through 3:30 PM. Member volunteers are needed to help guide visitors through the Musuem.
Streetcar Rides. Operation of Streetcar rides on May 13th are CANCELED for mechanical reasons - watch here for news of the first operating date. Beginning on May 13th, the public may ride a streetcar on the museum's demonstration track, weather permitting. Fares are $4.00 for Adults and Teenagers, 13 and older; Children 6 to 12 years old are $2.00; and Children 5 and younger are free when accompanied by an adult. Tickets may be purchased in the Museum Store. Streetcar rides begin at N.O.R.M. on May 13th and continue on the second Saturday of each month. The rides will commence on the hour beginning at 11:00 AM, with the last ride of the day occurring at 3:00 PM.
Scheduled Work Sessions. Every Saturday from 10 AM to 5 PM. For other days, contact Ralph Pfingsten or Walt Stoner at 330-769-5501. Volunteers of all ages, genders, and skills are needed.
Media Nights are on the first WEDNESDAY of March, May, August, October, and December. Media Nights are held at the Hinckley Township Hall at 1410 Ridge Road in Hinckley, Ohio. The Hall is located in the southwest corner of the intersection of State Routes 3 and 303. Please enter from the rear of the building. Doors open by 7:00 PM. Media Nights are open to the public.
Directors Business Meetings are held on the 4th Tuesday of odd numbered months at the Seville United Methodist Church. Meetings start at 7:30 pm. Summer (May, July, and September) meetings are held at the Museum. Meetings are open to all members.
- January 24th, 2017 - Directors Business Meeting at the Seville United Methodist Church.
- March 1st - Wednesday. Media Night. Program: Marty Surdyk, noted railroad photographer of the Akron Railroad Club will present a two part evening: (1) "Memories" a program of his own photos that bring back pleasant emotional memories and (2) a collection of his father Jim's 2 1/4" traction slides from the 50s during his days as a NKP engineer.
- March 18th and 19th - Saturday and Sunday, N.O.R.M. Historical Displays and Museum Store at the Railfest Div 5 NMRA Train Show, Lakeland Community College, I-90 and S.R. 306, Exit 193, Kirtland, Ohio. 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM both days.
- March 28th - Directors Business Meeting at the Seville United Methodist Church.
- April 2nd - Sunday. N.O.R.M. Historical Displays and Bookstore at the Medina Model Railroad & Train Show, Medina County Fair Grounds, Medina, Ohio, 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
- April 22nd - Saturday. Orientation session for the Museum Walking Tour Guides and Museum Store Personnel, 10 AM.
- May 3rd - Wednesday. Media Night. Program: Blaine Hays presents a program on the Shaker Rapid.
- May 6th - October 28th - Saturdays. Walking tours begin at N.O.R.M., each Saturday, 10 AM to 4 PM.
- May 13th - Saturday. Operation of Streetcar rides on May 13th are CANCELED for mechanical reasons - watch here for news of the first operating date. Streetcar rides begin at N.O.R.M., the second Saturday of each month, The rides will commence on the hour beginning at 11:00 AM.
- May 23rd - Directors Business Meeting at the Museum.
- July 25th - Directors Business Meeting at the Museum.
- July 29th - Saturday, N.O.R.M. members' outing to the Northeast Ohio Live Steamers, 3654 Lester Road, Medina. Rides from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
- August 2nd - Wednesday. Media Night. Program: The tragic 1915 Amherst train wreck on the New York Central Railroad. This should prove to be a very interesting program to be presented by Tim Wilheim of the Amherst Historical Society.
- August 13th - Sunday, N.O.R.M. Members' Picnic at the Museum, 1:00 PM. Hot dogs and hamburgers will be provided, please bring a salad or dessert to pass.
- September 26th - Directors Business Meeting at the Museum.
- October 4th, - Wednesday. Media Night. Program: Blaine Hays presents a program on traction in Philadelphia.
- October 7th and 8th - Saurday and Sunday. N.O.R.M. Historical Displays and Museum Store at the Great Berea Train Show, Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds in Berea. Saturday 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM and Sunday: 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- November 28th - Directors Business Meeting at the Seville United Methodist Church.
- December 6th, - Wednesday. Media Night. Program: Dale Rothenberger presents a program on Transit Developments in Houston, Austin and Dallas, Texas.
* * *