This was the first locomotive built by Gibbons & Harris,
Auckland for R.P. Gibbons, a brother of Gibbons, and a prominent Northland contractor and
sawmiller. It featured horizontal cylinders beneath the smokebox and driving through spur
gears to the front axle, thence drive was taken to the rear axle by means of a pair of
Dimensions: - Length 12'-11" (3937 mm), Wheelbase 4'-9" (1448 mm), Weight 6 tonnes,
Boiler pressure 120 psi (827 kPa), Cylinders 6" x 6" (152 x 152 mm),
Wheel diam. 30" (762 mm).
1905 0-4-0 T #3
These small geared 4-wheelers weighed about 6 tonnes.
The two-cylinder engine was mounted horizontally beneath the smoke box and was connected
by spur gears to the front axle. Side rods coupled the front and rear drive wheels.
An abandoned Gibbons & Harris lokey at Jack Bros. mill at Bell Hill. (Alan Bellamy col.)
Dimensions: - Length 12ft-11in (3937 mm), Wheelbase 4ft-9in (1448 mm), Weight 6 tonnes, Boiler pressure 120 psi (827 kPa), Cylinders 6in x 6in (152 x 152 mm). Wheel diam. 2ft-6in (762 mm).
Probably #1 at R.P. Gibbons operation in Northland (Percy Godber)
#3 purchased by J. Trounson. Photo believed to have been taken at Tutamoe (Upper Awakino Valley) between 1911 and early 1914