|Introduced: 1929||Number in Class: 3|
Beyer-Peacock & Co. Ltd., Manchester, England
|Tender Weight:||Total Weight: 145.8 tons||Adhesive Weight:
|Length over Buffers:
84' 3 3/4"
|Engine Wheelbase: 25' 5"||Coupled Wheelbase: 10' 9"|
|Tender Wheelbase:||Driver Wheel Dia.: 57"||Cylinders HP:
Six - 16½" x 24"
|Grate Area: 58.2 sq ft||Evaporative Area:
2223 sq ft
542 sq ft
51580 lbs f
|Coal Capacity: 6.0 tons||Oil Capacity:||Water Capacity:
The Garratts were ordered to deal with the volume and tonnage of the traffic over the heavy gradients of the North Island
and to do away with the excessive use of banking engines. These engines were noteworthy in that the coal bunker was mounted on the boiler cradle
behind the cab, instead of in the customary position on the rear engine unit. In addition they were one of the few Garratt designs to employ six cylinders.
A mechanical stoker was used, but foreign objects jammed the feed screw and caused many problems.
Numerous design faults occurred and the locomotive's fate was sealed when the 'K' class was introduced in 1932.
The locomotives were much too powerful for the drawgear then in general use on ordinary rolling stock and relatively short crossing sidings
made it impractical to haul loads commensurate with the power of the locomotive..
The three Garratts saw little service and were converted into six Pacific type locomotives. (Refer to Class 'G' 4-6-2)