Algoma Central Rolling Stock
In 1904, rolling stock included 200, 50-ton ore cars, 441 flat cars (over 300 were 40 ton), 26 box cars, and 103 wood rack gondolas for chips and charcoal.
In 1928, 100 new box cars were added at a cost of $2,723 each.
In 1947, 350 70-ton gondolas were bought from National Steel Car for
steel and pulpwood traffic.
8017 bathtub hopper. Paul McGrane collection.
8414 hopper car. Sault Ste.Marie 7/5/1997 Geneva May Short
Wisconsin Central (ex Green Bay & Western) bay window
caboose 116 International Car 1966
9512 Sault Ste.Marie 8/27/1950 Bud Laws Collection
10665 maintenance of way work car downgraded from 9500
10059 generator and supply car. 1986 Ex Baggage 208 Ex
Ortner 10 AC&F 1928
10655 water tank car. Sault Ste.Marie 7/5/1997 Geneva May Short
Road repair car. See also below.
Consist of train in August of 1977 starts off with .....
211 stainless steel Express and Baggage car is next .......
.... followed by coach 443 in former Illinois Central paint scheme.
Identical coach 442 is next.
511 brings up the markers.
Five photos Wolf Kirchmeir.
AC 78 HEP car (ex DRGW 253)
enroute to the Sault. Last used on the Ski Train in Colorado
503 acq. 4/1949 (ex DRGW 956 nee D&SL 901) Cafe car.
In 1949 steel passenger cars finally came to the Algoma Central, although like much of its earlier equipment, it was secondhand. From the Denver and Rio Grande Western came 13 light 4-wheel truck open window coaches, three of which were converted into cafe cars. Also acquired were five ex U.S.Army troop box car style sleepers only built in 1944 for World War II use, these were converted into baggage cars.
Old wooden passenger coaches were downgraded to work service equipment and served for many more years until replaced by the ex D&RG steel coaches or modular units on flat cars.
302 ex 211 Express & Baggage acq. 1974 (ex D&RGW
1100 RPO Silver Antelope) Budd 1948
511 snack coach (acq.1971 ex IC 3341/MP 564) ACF 1948 9/28/1988 Tim Vermande
416 ex CP 2227
425 acq. 1/1972 (ex CP 2268) CC&F/CPR 1949
More steel coaches came, this time modern, lightweight steel air conditioned picture windows cars from the Canadian Pacific Railway which was reducing its passenger service. A total of 18 of these cars (415-432) came between July 1969 and December 1972 following which most of the old coaches went into work service or were sold off.
Still more used cars were bought in 1973, once again from U.S. roads including 6 coaches built by AC&F in 1947 and 14 articulated coaches from Southern Pacific. Each of the pair of articulated coaches only seated 50 passengers. These latter cars were not well liked and most wound up in work service. Three dining cars (one stainless steel) were also acquired along with three stainless steel baggage cars.