Canadian Pacific Railway
First section led by 2235 and another 2200 with short
train of old wooden coaches.
No. 703 eng 1222 "Steam Boat" northbound
at Humber races to Port Mc.Nicoll.
No.12 engine 4095 with The Canadian stopping at
1432 and a B unit power No.11 The Canadian stopping
at West Toronto depot. July 2, 1957
#12 The Canadian southbound at Woodbridge
with a typical winter consist hauled
No. 11 engine 4083 and an RS-10 with The Canadian under Bathurst Street bridge in the Toronto Terminals Railway plant westbound towards Cabin D and Tecumseh Street tower on the Galt Sub.enroute to West Toronto where it will change to the Mac Tier Subdivision on its way to Sudbury. 1967 L.B.Chapman Coll.
The two Sudbury sections of The Canadian meet at
West Toronto, On Time at 1725 after No.12 (right)
8467 at Bala, August 1957. Randy Masales collection
Time Table 1906
1081 with Camp Borden train in the Spring of 1957. Ian Jackson
During the Great War (World War I) a 3.3 mile branch was built into Camp Borden, site of Canada's largest training ground (21,000 acres, opened July 9, 1916), from a junction point named Ypres, at Mile 52.8 MacTier Sub. This enormous Army Camp was also served the CNR off their Allandale-Collingwood line. The CPR stationed a little D4 class 4-6-0 (439) there in the last years of steam to run shuttles over the Camp Borden Sub. connecting with main line trains as well as handling freight. Following removal of #25 and #26 Toronto-Sudbury, a Toronto to Camp Borden local passenger service was operated starting with the October 27,1957 time table. #309 & #310, operated Daily Except Sunday, using a single RDC-2. (9110). It ended with the change of time table effective April 30,1961. The 3.21 mile long Base Borden Spur, was approved for abandonment November 7, 1990, although most of it remained in place until dismantled in September 1997.
"4 PM CPR train leaving Bog Rd station Jan.44."
Canadian Army/James A. Brown Collection
Topographic map of Camp
time table 1940
No.801 leaving Union Station 6.05 PM for Buffalo, April
1943. Engineer Sam Fielding.
2332 taking water at West Shore (NYC) shops in Buffalo 4/16/1939 Bud Laws Collection
In 1929 four passenger engines (all Pacific 4-6-2)
were equipped with Automatic Train Control (ATC) to operate over the NYC
between Welland and Buffalo. G2 class 2659 and 2662 and G4 class 2714
and 2715. G3's 2332 and 2337 replaced 2714 and 2715 which were transferred
to Western Lines in February and July
ATC equipment connected to right side tender truck second axle.
2659 Squaw Island, Buffalo, New York. January 7, 1939 Bud Laws Collection
2662 northbound for Toronto in Buffalo, New York. Bud Laws Collection
2662 with Buffalo train bound for Toronto. TH&B Hunter Street station Hamilton. Circa 1948
Digital restoration; Walter Pfefferle
Pacific in Southern Ontario
Randy Masales Collection courtesy of Brian D. Switzer
Spotless 2399 eastbound Number 322 from Buffalo at Gallagher Rd., Burlington. 3/10/1959
No. 322 eng 2857 passing CNR Cabin
E (hidden) about to cross Wharf Lead.
2857 rapidly accelerating eastbound from Sunnyside with "Buffalo". (No. 324 Sunday Only due at Sunnyside 9.04 A.M. which is 30 minutes later than No. 322 Daily ex Sunday. These trains carried sleepers originating in New York, Boston, Pittsburg and Cleveland). Note the lack of traffic on Lake Shore Boulevard West in "Toronto The Good" on this Sunday morning in November 1959. Dave Page
2839 eastbound on the Joint Section with TH&B and NYC equipment. John Biggs
2856 has just arrived at Union Station from Hamilton. 11-10-56 Joseph Testagrose Collection
Hamilton Subdivision trains operated over a Joint Section of Canadian National trackage between Bathurst Street (Mileage 1.1) in Toronto and Hamilton Junction, Mileage 37.3. A straight and almost level stretch of track that permits high speed operation of passenger trains. The CPR in connection with the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo and the New York Central, operated the Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Line, a jointly owned and operated through passenger service between Toronto, Hamilton, Welland, Fort Erie and Buffalo, New York. It began with the joint purchase in 1924 six baggage cars, six smoker and ten regular coaches at a cost of $916,019.69. An agreement effective January 1,1935 covered all aspects of operating, servicing, and repairing of equipment including supplying spare cars. This was apportioned Michigan Central 29.73 per cent, TH&B 34.23% and CPR 36.04%. Mileage operated was CPR 40.25 miles (39.06%), TH&B 37.57 miles (36.46%), MC 25.23 miles (24.48%).
1421-1408 with the "Buffalo" near Bayview. 7/1955
1421_19xx eastbound with "Little Ham" leaving Sunnyside for Toronto Union.
13 years later and the "Buffalo" is much reduced
in importance as depicted here leaving Toronto Union
NYC 4042 EMD E8A leads TH&B 372 from Hamilton to Welland and Buffalo enroute to New York City. This equipment ran through from Buffalo to Toronto over the NYC to Welland, TH&B to Hamilton and CPR CNR Joint Section although the diesels were changed at Hamilton. Stoney Creek, Ont. 8/21/1963 Peter Cox
There was also an important through service from New York City using mostly NYC equipment including many sleeping cars that were heavily patronized. Trains operated into the Central Terminal in Buffalo, built just before the Great Depression, (opened June 22, 1929) until it was abandoned when Amtrak left in October 1979, after which the new Exchange Street station was used. It remains in use and is the latest in a long line of Exchange Street stations dating back to the 1840's. The previous Exchange Street station was in use from 1952-1965. Trains always stopped at Black Rock in Buffalo for US Customs clearance although the Inspectors travelled to and from Welland on the trains to do their work as it proceeded.
Through service to Buffalo and New York on a day time schedule ended on April 25, 1964.
RDC-2 9115 and RDC-4 92?? Central Terminal Buffalo November 1971 Mike Harrington
Night sleeper service between Toronto, Buffalo and New York
City ended when decrepid Penn Central equipment was replaced with CPR
RDC equipment on a day time schedule between Toronto and Buffalo.
Automobiles, trucks and airplanes all combined to affect train service. Gradually, over the years passenger service declined with mixed (freight and passenger) trains replacing some passenger trains until they too were eliminated. Fewer and fewer through and local trains ran until finally, only The Canadian and a lonely, lightly patronized service to Buffalo, utilizing two RDC's, (mostly to ensure operation of signals), remained to be taken over by VIA Rail Canada in 1978. Note: There was also a single service remaining on the Trenton Division between Toronto and Havelock which was heavily used by commuters.
9021-9023 RDC-3's on the Buffalo train enroute to Toronto
(going away from camera).
VIA 9115 9308 two views coming and going on the Joint
Section at Oakville.