July 1906 a tender was let for construction of a 16 mile branch from Linwood to Listowel enroute to Collingwood. It was lightly constructed and died there, as did plans for a branch from Linwood in the opposite direction to Stratford and another one to Clinton. Clearly, railroad construction in Ontario was coming to an end. Opened July 9, 1908 it lasted three decades, a short period of time for a railway, and was abandoned after having made it through the Great Depression.
In the 1920's service was a twice daily ex Sunday mixed
train. A small single-stall enginehouse in Listowel housed the tiny
A3 class 4-4-0 7048 (ex 36) which was the regular engine assigned for
the entire time.
Ffinal run of the Daily Except Sunday mixed train was made on May 13, 1939 with D-10 class 4-6-0 891.
According to the Listowel Banner newspaper, this train left the station at 2:40 p.m. with a regular train crew of : Engineer Tom McDonald; Fireman W. Glazier; Brakemen Jas. E. Brown and D. McKenzie; and Conductor W. Kellett. At the throttle (as far as the first level crossing) was retired (January 1, 1937) engineer Joseph Fair, who had run the first train on the short branch and was the regular engineer for most of the time the branch operated. Retired conductor E.H.Cooke gave the "All Aboad", other pensioners were present as were various officials in a business car on the tail end. Fair, a Mason, Odd Fellow and United Church member died in October of 1953, aged 92.
Back (Use your browser Back button)