New Toronto, Ontario
Anaconda Brass (Canada) started in 1919, as J.F. Brown's Copper & Brass Rolling Mills located on Birmingham Street. Anaconda acquired the mills soon after in 1922. In its last few years of operations, it was Arrowhead Metals. The plant closed in 1989.
Campbell's Soup began making soup in New Toronto in 1931,
and they are still going strong. The plant is on Birmingham Street,
corner of Dwight Avenue, on a site that was previously a hydro pole
yard. There is a brief history on the Campbell's website.
W.A. Gilbey (Canada) Limited opened in the summer of 1933 on a site located directly west of New Toronto Street off Kipling Avenue. The original plant was built on the 3-acre site in 1933 at a cost of $64,000 and employed approximately 50 residents of New Toronto. In 1936, an addition was built at the cost of $35,000 to accommodate increasing business. The 1963 booklet, New Toronto & New Toronto Hydro: Celebrating Our Golden Jubilee describes the history.
scroll down to Landmarks.
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2009