Parkdale Yard redevelopment
Aerial view looking south-east. Red-ish colour is 1100
King Street West condominium townhouse and high-rise development originally
known as High Res it was planned by the developer Urbancorp
to total 1,600 units including four 28-storey residential towers, 105
townhouses and four commercial buildings. It was rejected by the City
of Toronto, downsized to 1,100 units and again rejected. It was downsized
again in 2004 and re-named King Towns of High Res where 87 townhouses
are planned for the first (east) part of this three-hectare site.
Aerial view looking south east close up of Parkdale top yard. Earlier high rise buildings on east side of Dufferin Street south to King Street West. Parkdale station was in the bottom centre leg fronting on Dufferin at Queen Street West. Green is open field of Lamport Stadium, once the location of Mercer Reformatory (womens prison). Long building to right by tall stack is part of former Toronto Carpet factory complex redeveloped into offices as were many other light industries in this area. March 2003.
The area has long been a low-income residential area dating from the 19th. Century. Some buildings from that era still remain in use and redeveloped including the Drake Hotel and Gladstone House hotel built in 1889, located on Queen Street West and Gladstone Avenue, one block east of Dufferin Street, it was long a hang-out for CNR workers!
Liberty Village, 475 stacked townhouses under construction 2004
on 18-hectares (45-acres) site former John Inglis plant.
Battery Park 23-storey, 316 unit condominium, to be built in
East Liberty Street a new street through old industrial land. Former
Irwin Toy (old Hinde & Dauch) straight ahead.
Dominion Store 24-hour supermarket (50,000 sq.ft.) located where Parkdale
Yard Office once stood. Looking northwest.
Rear of the Dominion Store where Parkdale Yard was located. Looking
west towards top yard. Floodlight tower is an original, located south
side King Street West at Atlantic Avenue. Only the two main tracks remain.
CNR two tracks far right.
Same spot as previous photograph, looking east. Liberty Village
Hanna Avenue looking east at point of 90 degree right turn. New road (East Liberty Street) angles to right, entrance to parking lot for Dominon Store etc. angles to the left. A small, low addition (where men are walking) to the old Irwin Toy (formerly, Hinde & Dauch mill) was demolished. Previously, you had to make a left turn to go around the end of the building on a private dirt road to get to the yard offcie etc. July 3, 2005 R.L.Kennedy
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2009