TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
Old Time Trains


CPR West Toronto
station a.k.a "Depot"

West Toronto Diamond

First station, built in 1885. Two story building nestled between Nordheimer piano factory and
Queen City Mills elevator west of (Old) Weston Road bridge.


Second station, built 1898 demolished 1911. Looking east taken from (Old) Weston Road bridge.
West Toronto Junction Historical Society

Weston Road bridge new construction looking southeast. Closeup of second station. December 14, 1910

Toronto Junction, Mile 4.6 London Section (later, Galt Subdivision) former Credit Valley main line looking west.
This was the second station, original station was west of the (Old) Weston Road bridge in background.
Track car is on the connecting track from the old Toronto, Grey & Bruce main line from Bolton. August 1898.
Canadian Pacific A12228

Brand new station! October 19, 1911 West Toronto Junction Historical Society archives.
Note white posts in right foreground which appear to mark right-of-way of GTR to right.

New West Toronto station built 1911 using brick and stone. Shown 1915-16 Canadian Pacific Archives A.3513

West Toronto Station 1923. West Toronto Junction Historical Society

Note the telephone booth underneath the umbrella shed. Old style street lamp at left edge of platform.
Long line of wagons lined up outside Express building. Note the spotless grounds. April 9,1955
Toronto Public Library/James V. Salmon Collection

Note: That two-tone Ford appears in a photo the day before at Leaside. Could it be Salmon's?

West Toronto Station (looking west) Referred to by employees as the "Depot". Located upstairs was the Calling Bureau
(Crew Dispatching Office) where the photographer worked at the time. Also located upstairs was the Roadmaster's office.
Prior to creating the Central Calling Bureau in 1956 the Employee's Recreation Club used the upstairs. Circa 1964.
White Rose gas station at left. This brand was Canadian Oil Companies Ltd. the last independent oil company.
It was acquired in 1962 by Shell. Credit: R.L.Kennedy

#338 9110-9115 arriving for the last time. July 3, 1971 Bill Thomson

#337 is in fact not operating this date. The last train has arrived.

This shows the full length of the expanded express building. Note the breezeway. Winter 1976-77
West Toronto Junction Historical Society Archives


This was the third and last station at West Toronto and it closed October 28, 1978 when the last train VIA's Canadian
was rerouted over the CNR. It ended up being demolished November 25, 1982 after failed attempts at preservation.



Back (Use your browser Back button)

Old Time Trains © 2009 2013 2014