Facebook Page
Old Time Trains

Locust Hill

All photographs from the collection of Ed Zammit unless otherwise credited.

Early scene of original O&Q Locust Hill station. Note wooden water tank with stone foundation.

Later view with no evidence of water tower which could be hidden by large tree. Box car is CP 200256
a 36 foot, 40 ton capacity wooden box car built in 1913-14. This station burned down in 1935.

New station built 1936. Summer 1956 still looking good. Gord Billinghurst Collection

Replacement station near the end of its active days in the 1970's; passenger service
still remained as evidenced by the schedule board. Al Paterson

Looking kind of sad. 1982 Gord Billinghurst Collection

VIA Rail did not staff the stations, therefore passengers paid a cash fare to the conductor.

Being moved March 1983, (by none other than Chas. Matthews Ltd.) to the
Markham & District Historical Museum in Markham.

Serious wreck August 29th. 1904 involving a small 4-4-0 and a bigger 2-8-0 at Freeman's Bridge
(now Little's farm). This was just west of Locust Hill in the 14th. and Steeles Avenues area.
Judging by the flat car on the nose of the 4-4-0, this may have been a work train which was hit by the much heavier 2-8-0.


These two April 1906 views from an old photo album show (top) telephone pole line going in and
(bottom) workmen with what may be a work train. Robert Reesor farm on 10th Concession.

Locust Hill church in an early 20th century winter scene. It's hard to miss the lineman!



Back (Use your browser Back button)

Old Time Trains © 2009