Facebook Page
Old Time Trains


Note: The C.P.R. abbreviates the spelling of Peterborough.

Note the horse-drawn omnibus.

Beautiful gardens were once a common sight for many stations all across Canada.

Winter in Peterboro! Old post card view. Collection of Doug Birchill

Peterboro, looking east, circa 1960. Note empty water tank. David Hales

This view in 1975 shows the overhanging canopy still in place. Bruce May/ Eric May collection
Out of view to the right is local wooden van 437136 note backup hose.

Built in 1884, it had an addition built on the north side in 1919 to accommodate indoor
plumbing, and another addition on the east end, likely for a lunch room in WWII,
a common happening. Note stone foundation and red painted bricks.
David Hales.

Faded red paint reveals cream in this 1983 scene after passenger service ended. Jeff Henricks

After service resumed VIA Rail used this shelter instead of the station.
Service ended again the day after this picture was taken, January 13,1990.
John D. Alderman.

The station was acquired, August 17, 1990, by the City of Peterborough. The Chamber of Commerce undertook a major restoration and modernization of the station (budget $875,000) and moved into it July 4, 1991. The Tourism and Convention Bureau and the Provincial Motor Vehicle License Bureau also relocated to the station. There is also a community room.

This view of restored structure shows east end addition to original station.

Back (Use your browser Back button)

Old Time Trains © 2009 2015