Toronto Transportation Commission
Route 1 Humberside Avenue
The first bus route began September 20, 1921. It ran from Dundas Street west along Humberside Avenue to High Park Avenue, then north to Annette Street. On December 5, 1922 it was extended farther west along Annette to Jane Street.
TTC 7 open top double deck bus on route 1 the first TTC bus route.
It ran from here to High Park Ave. then north to Annette Street beginning
September 20, 1921. By the time this photo was taken it had been extended
(Dec5/22) west to Jane Street.
TTC 1 route 1. Evening rush hour. Note the orderly lineup! No wonder
a streetcar line was planned. The first four busses were built by Fifth
Avenue Coach Company of New York City and were similar to ones operating
there. They seated 22 inside plus 29 on top, they were powered by a
four-cylinder 35 horsepower engine and had solid rubber tires which
were typical at the time. Four others were later built by four different
companies. There were a total of only eight such double
Bus 8 was built by Tillings-Stevens in Maidstone, Kent, England.
Eastern Canada Motor Co.
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2009 2015 2017