TrainWeb.org Facebook Page
Old Time Trains


Toronto Transit Commission

"Roncy" car barns. 8/7/1986

4158 a Carlton car signed for short turn at Lansdowne is empty and proceeding west to Dundas Street where it will turn back eastward to Lansdowne then north one short block and will reappear at this same intersection at far right to return eastward on College Street. Note the trolley coach wires on Lansdowne. Texaco was long a popular brand of gas and oil owned by McColl-Frontenac. Supertest was a smaller Canadian-owned service station chain. At this time many service stations had their own tow truck. Note the Globe & Mail newspaper box. A national newspaper still around but no longer in street boxes. December 1964 Paul McGrane Collection ENLARGE

PCC 4166 an eastbound King car signed for Erindale loop at Broadview Avenue and Danforth Avenue. Still the same route today! Tracks were set in cobblestones for durability. These were the days when automobiles were easily identified by sight. Can you name any? Export was a major brand of cigarettes. December 1964 (and no snow?) Paul McGrane Collection

4393 a Bathurst car destined Church heading south at Bridgman Avenue about to pass through subway (underpass) beneath CPR tracks.passing TTC Hillcrest main shops. Car will turn left at Front Street West and proceed east past Union Station to Church Street. Barely visible at upper right is a sand car just leaving TTC yard. 7/31/1965 Paul McGrane Collection

4393 sitting at safety island appears to be empty, not even an Operator! Facing south on Spadina Avenue at Dundas Street West. Signed for Runnymede loop western destination. Car will turn right here. Likely being short turned and waiting time. Dominant building in left background was built 1875 as Knox College at 1 Spadina Crescent (street splits around both ends). 5/20/1967 Paul McGrane Collection

4394 a St.Clair route car destined for Keele Street western loop. Interesting is the White Owl cigar advertisement a popular inexpensive smoke. 10 cents! Also, the telephone booth (remember those?) painted in non-Bell Telephone Company colours likely for Loblaws grocery supermarket (out of view to left) just east of Bathurst Street at Nordheimer Ravine . Still there! 9/1963 Paul McGrane Collection

4412 signed DANFORTH BLOOR on Danforth Avenue at Parkmount Road (3 blocks west of Coxwell).
4/24/1965 Paul McGrane Collection

Long Branch route car 4415 eastbound on Lake Shore Rd. in Mimico. 8/1966 Paul McGrane Collection

Lots of history iu this scene in downtown. 4416 a Queen car is turning south on Spadina Avenue short turning.
Turretted building at left is Bargain Benny's, a long ways down from its historic past.
Built 1908, the Auditorium Theatre was a silent movie house renamed 1915 as the
Pickford Theatre for "America's Sweetheart" (born in Toronto in 1893!).
The upper floor was the Moler Barber College. Demolished 1972.
11/1966 Paul McGrane Collection

4417 westbound BLOOR car to JANE passing Canada Bread plant just east of Dundas Street West.
2/1966 Paul McGrane Collection

4502 on Weston Road a St.Clair route car destined Northland loop at former City Limits. June 23, 1965
The garage was once the Toronto Suburban Railway powerhouse. Now long-closed ABC Lumber.

 

TTC scenes on Weston Road Scroll up for pre-TTC scenes. Browser back to here.


Modern streetcars 200 ordered
Urban Transportation Development Corporation (UTDC)
built in Thunder Bay by Hawker Siddeley Canada.

TTC CLRV 4019 at end of its route in Keele Loop. Inner loop for Runnymede bus out of view to right. 05/04/1980

 

 



Back (Use your browser Back button)

Old Time Trains © 2015 2016 2019