City of Toronto Department of Public Health Ambulance Service
Ambulance Service in Metro Toronto was made up of a collection of different services for over 100 years. In 1889 the City of Toronto formed it's own Ambulance Service through the Department of Public Health (DPH). The prime focus of this service was to provide care and transport of infectious patients.
In August of 1933 the Department of Public Health took control of responding to emergency calls also after the Toronto Police closed their ambulance service. Along with a number of private ambulance services the Department of Public Health provided ambulance service to the citizens of Toronto until midnight December 31, 1966.
On January 1, 1967 the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto, Department of Emergency Services took over the various fire department run ambulances including the DPH service. DES also opened a centralized Metro Toronto Ambulance Dispatch Centre with the mandate to dispatch all ambulances both municipal and private in Metro Toronto.
The formation of The Department of Emergency Services under the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto effectively ended the City of Toronto's involvement in operating an ambulance service after seventy-seven years.
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2009