Queenston-Chippawa Power Station
The Queenston-Chippawa area near Niagara Falls was where
work began in 1918 to build the largest power plant in the world. Adam
Beck No.1 Generating Station opened in late December 1921, producing
300,000 horse power of electricity. Between those two dates much construction
work was done to bring Lake Erie water up the Welland River, along an
8 1/2 mile canal to reach to the site. More than two dozen electric
and steam locomotives along with hundreds of dump cars were required
to remove about 37 million cubic yards of material.
E9 50-ton 600 volt 400 HP NSC/W 1918. Ontario Hydro
24 of these electric locomotives were built, 12 by National
Steel Car with Westinghouse electrical equipment and 12 by Canadian
Car & Foundry with CGE electrical equipment. These were all were
sold off afterwards with the largest number going to International Nickel:
1926, INCO 101-106; Chatham, Wallaceburg & Lake Erie (following
its abandonment, sold in 1930 to INCO 108). 1928 INCO 107. They served
the vast INCO complex for another 38 years until retired in 1984.
E-8 NSC/Westinghouse 1918
E-9 NSC/Westinghouse 1918
E-19 CC&F 1918
A similar number of steam locomotives were also acquired
for parts of this construction project, most new, some used.
HEPC 36, acq. 3/1917 (ex PRR 1215, 1 of 6 acq.) 0-4-0
PRR #1597 6/1903. Shown 1919.
Several construction locomotives lining up for water. October 22, 1918. National Archives PA 71189
HEPC 46 0-4-0T Alco (Cooke) #62557 9/1920
Sir Adam Beck Niagara Generating Station #1
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2009 2017