Over the years this same pulp and paper plant has had a number of names and owners, in fact, the town itself has had two names! It all began when a major industry located in Peninsula, Ontario building a kraft pulp mill. Located at Mile 63.0 CP Heron Bay Subdivision. Originally named Marathon-Canadian Pulp Mills, a subsidiary of Marathon Corp. in Wisconsin, its first bale of pulp was produced in October 1946. It was re-named Marathon Corporation of Canada Ltd. then became Marathon Paper Mills of Canada Ltd. 1957 it was sold to American Can of Canada Ltd. In February 1980 it was re-named America Can Canada Inc. In April 1983 it became James River-Marathon Ltd. owned by James River (80%) & Buchanan Forest Products (20%). Later, Fort James-Marathon Ltd. which was acquired in January 2000 by Tembec Inc. The current name is Marathon Pulp Inc. and it is jointly owned by Tembec and Kruger. At the end of February 2009 the mill shutdown indefinitely throwing 230 employees out of work in a population of 4,400. The mill produced 200,000 tonnes of bleached kraft pulp annually and provided about $1.2 million in municipal taxes. GIGI a brownfield redeveloper based in Illinois was to take over the property putting up $2.0M bond along with a $4.8M bond from Tembec to clean up property. MOE requirements to clean up property became higher due to its being located on a lake. GIGI walked away from the project. A new company Reliance Developements Corp. has taken over and the plant is being demolished as of July 2014. Sad ending after all these years.
17-101, (Ex Marathon Corp. 28-120) MLW S-13 M3435-01
Sold 2004 Trillium 101
17-102 acq.6/1986 (ex CP
7024) sits by huge pile of woodchips. S-2 Alco #72859 10/1944
Sold 2004 Trillium 7024
American Can of Canada Ltd. #NIL MLW S-13 M3435-01 2/1966
CANX 8700 (ex CN 8700 sold 8/1997 nee CN 8611) S-13u
MLW 83179 11/1959
This sequence of photographs shows contractor switching a cut of cars consisting of one box and eight woodchip cars.
Note the housing of this mill town in the background.
Shoving down a grade to the extensive plant. M.V. Menominee which has just berthed at the dock.
Closer view of the mill. These images taken May 23, 2005 by Chris Wilson.
CANX 1349 (ex CN 1349) SW1200RS GMD A1799 7/1959 September 15, 2007
CANX_8701 (2nd). Newly painted in Savage scheme, the
new owner of Canac the switching contractor, worked only about three
months at Marathon following wheel work and repainting at NRE Capreol
in Nov. 2008. This unit had been recently acquired from Red Rock Mills
Inc. 169 (formerly, Norampac previously
Domtar) at Red Rock. Originally, QNS&L 169 GMD A948 6/1956. It was
transferred out following bankruptcy of the mill leaving the old MLW
unit to finish up until closure.
The last cars (7) to leave pulp storage. Monday May, 4, 2009
Three loads and a cripple out to CP. Monday May, 4, 2009
Five loads out to CP May 7, 2009. After more than half of a century, it is all over! Chris Wilson
(Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2009 2014 2016 2018