OSSAWIPPI EXPRESS DINING CARS
210 Mississaga Street East, Orillia, ON
First owned by Jim Allison of Orillia and opened c.1972
located next to CPR Port McNicoll Subdivision. Once the Georgian Bay and
Seaboard between Port McNicoll and Bethany Junction (Draneol) connecting
to the Ontario and Quebec the original main line from Montreal to Toronto.
Both the GB&S and O&Q were early on leased to the CPR. The line
broken when 39 miles were abandoned September 7, 1937 between Lindsay
and Orillia. The former CPR station remained in use by the Legion situated
just east of Ossawippi Express with tracks ending a little farther east.
CNR paralleled CPR tracks through here. CPR abandoned the branch from
Mile 0.0 Orillia to mile 7.3 Uhthoff effective December 6, 1985. A proposed
diesel tourist train Orillia Rail Ride for this seven mile stretch
was still-born. Opposite was the 17.5 acre Couchiching Beach Park where
a genuine Cagney live-steam park train operated
for many years by the Rotary Club of Orillia. Eventually, its boiler became
unusable and repairs were decided aginst due to its advanced age. The
train was acquired by a private individual who had it restored and it
is currently on loan to the Allan Herschell Carrousel
Factory Museum in North Tonawanda, New York.
Tibor Takas was chef for Allison and later took over ownership following its expansion with three cars from the defunct Leaside Village Station which closed May 29, 1983.
L&PS 4 radial car. Jewett Car Co. 1915
1431 ex CP 41 Safety Instruction car. CC&F/CPR 1923
Hungerford (acq. 1986 Leaside) ex CP 65 Vision
Test Car nee 12 section 1 drawing room sleeper Hungerford.
Tibor and Margot Takacs
Front cover of folder size 3 3/4 x 8 1/2"
Collection of R. L. Kennedy
Original layout of cars.
Paper placemat. Original size; 9 1/2" x 14" ENLARGE
ENLARGE (Don't strain your eyesight!)
Final layout at its expanded size. Note "Dave Beckett" is ex CP 37 from Leaside ex Cape Mudge.
All material Collection of R. L. Kennedy
Brochure 4" x 9"
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2018