Canadian National Railways
Mount Royal Tunnel
Formerly Mount Royal Tunnel and Terminal Company Limited owned by Canadian Northern. Regular operation through the 3.15 mile long double-tracked tunnel began October 21, 1918 giving CNoR access to downtown Montreal to better compete on intercity service with Grand Trunk and Canadian Pacific both of which had terminals downtown. This heavy duty electric operation remains an important commuter service for the Montreal area.
MacKenzie, Mann and Company was the construction contractor for this project. One of Canada's largest railway contractors it too was owned by Canadian Northern principals William Mackenzie and Donald Mann.
Electrification The Electrical News June 15, 1914
Aerial view of Tunnel Terminal (upper left) 1918.
Description of area.
Here is the site today:
CN 186 with commuter train in Montreal 5-59-67. A.J.Schill/Joseph
One of nine boxcab 101 ton 1100 hp 2400 Volt D.C. units built by English Electric/Beyer Peacock 1926
6712 leads sister and a long afternoon northbound train. Mount Royal July 1983 Clayton Langstaff
Note the differences in the headlight and illuminated number board
location compared to 6712 above.
Mount Royal July 1983 Clayton Langstaff
6724 (ex 185 nee MHCT 109) Last boxcab. Built 1926. Pointe St. Charles October 6, 1991 Pierre Fournier
Two views of long commuter train coming and going hauled by a pair of newer GE center cab 1100hp 86-ton locos.
Two photos: Raymond S. Farand
6733 (ex M-4) one of 6 m.u. motors siting all by itself
in Montreal. 88 seats 340 HP CC&F 1952
6710 on display. All electric locomotives retired 1995. Duex-Montagnes 4/1/2003 Pierre Lacombe
187 Bud Laws Collection 9/1951
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2009 2011 2012 2016 2017 2019