Canadian National Navigation
Background: Following acquisition of Lakeside Navigation
Company and its two steamships
Niagara St.Catharines and Toronto Navigation Company formed 1902 as
subsidiary of Niagara St.Catharines and Toronto Railway. Acquired in
William Mackenzie and Donald Mann, owners of the Canadian Northern Railway.
Expansion began and on August 21, 1911 the new 1,256 ton Dalhousie
City made its
inaugural run between Port Dalhousie and Toronto replacing the tiny
Financial difficulties saw CNoR taken over in 1917 by the federal government
and in 1923 it came under control of newly formed Canadian National
Brochure cover and map 1913
Canadian National operated passenger boats Dalhousie City and
between Toronto and Port Dalhousie "da-louse_e" for many years.