Canadian Pacific Railway
Trains 5-6 Toronto - Vancouver
and 9-10 Montreal - Sudbury
Douglas R. Phillips
Use of the trains changed constantly from the years 1950
to 1965, with every season being a little different,
No. 9 and No. 10 carried mail and express between Montreal and Sudbury
to connect with trains for/from the west.
The Montreal mail car on No 9 went through to Sault St Marie and return.
Later it was The Dominion that carried that traffic to Sudbury.
Its all too complicated to explain in simple words as the make
up of trains changed with each change of time. At times 5-6 only ran
between Winnipeg and Calgary and in some years ran only one way east
Until the late 1960s passenger trains were restricted to 26 cars
(with exceptions to a max 28) for air brake purposes. Once a train was
around 22 cars the company policy was they would look to running a second
section if additional traffic was on hand. One standard was if a train
was broken into two or more sections the mail car was to go on the first
section. Policy was not to break and run The Canadian in sections.
Periodically when the train was more than 12 hours late it would run
as an extra. If more than 24 hours late would run as a section of the
train on the following day. The Canadian between 1955 and 1960
was restricted to a make up of 14 cars with one additional car in the
two summer months. All overflow traffic was handled by The Dominion.
The trains that carried the mail and express would usually have a rider
coach for the crew and local, passengers. These trains would also be
used to handle deadhead coaches, sleepers and dining cars.
These trains were not required for passengers. They were operated
for the purpose of handling express and mail traffic. Only one passenger
day coach was carried on these trains which by 1959 was not required
by the Passenger Department. The passenger revenue from these trains
was considered negligible.
At this time it was considered that the mail traffic then being handled
on trains 5-6 and 9-10 should be handled on the Dominion.
It was felt this would increase the revenue position of the Dominion
by approximately $3 million per year. When seasonal traffic conditions
permitted, express traffic, to the extent that it can be accommodated,
was also handled on the Dominion, with other arrangements
made to handle any overflow, a very possibly was in freight piggyback
service. From a passenger standpoint, it was felt trains 5-6 and 9-10
could be eliminated entirely.
September 27th ,1959 was the actual last day of operation for these
trains 5 & 6 Toronto-Vancouver and 9 & 10 Montreal-Sudbury .
The above is from official CPR documentation on requesting the trains
discontinuance dated April 20th 1959 for the fall change of timecard.
The January notice would have been for temporary discontinuance or annulment
until the summer season started again in April 1959 and would have been
east of Winnipeg only. But these trains were on again April 26, 1959.
Likely, if no or very little express traffic express was put on the
Dominion and the other trains annulled that day.
The Dominion ran as 3 & 4 Toronto Sudbury and 7 &
8 Montreal-Vancouver connecting with 3 & 4 at Sudbury. Overflow
traffic would result in the trains running in more than one section
to accommodate any of that extra traffic.
Then the big changes came to the Dominion in the fall of
1960 when the sleepers and dining cars were removed for most of the
route during the off seasons.
The purpose of the Dominion after April 1955 was to handle
overflow passenger traffic off the Canadian as well as local
passengers, military traffic and immigration traffic to allow the faster
schedule for trains 1-2 and 11-12.