The Wabash operated in Canada entirely by trackage rights on the CNR between Windsor and Fort Erie beginning in March of 1898 over predecessor GTR. While primarily used as a bridge route between Detroit and Buffalo it also served local traffic within Ontario. This continued under Norfolk & Western ownership. Successor Norfolk Southern ended these perpetual rights in 2011 except for transfer interchange at Fort Erie. Wabash used a portion of St.Thomas yard where their own switcher a small 43-ton GE was based. Built in 1939 this was a very early one-man engine, the only one operating in Canada. GMD supplied 22 A units, 4 SW8's and 1 GP7 all built in Canada.
3547_3521 these units would have passed through Ontario to reach the end of their run in Buffalo.
WAB 1160A_1160 original numbering at Windsor. November 1957. Frank Tatnall
664 part of 20 unit order F7A built as 1155, 1155A to
670 part of 20 unit GMD order 657-676
WAB 725 (GMD A487 3/1953) first of two F7A unit order
meeting CNR 3875 at Canfield Junction.
1189A on a meet.
123 SW8 GMD A146 1/1951 Part of three unit order 122-124.
Wabash 51 43-ton 300 HP (Two Cummins HBI-6 150 hp diesel)
GE 12496 7/1939
Wabash engines and cars in CNR St. Thomas yard. 1935 ENLARGE
Note roundhouse left background. Also, narrow gauge "track"
behind switch stand for baggage wagon.
Back (Use your browser Back button)
Old Time Trains © 2012 2015 2016 2017 2018 2020 2022