The Philadelphia Chapter of the
National Railway Historical Society
Established in 1936
Railfan Pictures of the Week - 04/01/2007
|Conrail Kensington and Tacony Branch and Frankford Junction Philadelphia PA March 30 2007
|Nothing says "old industrial" more than a red brick smokestack as NS 39G pulls its pickup of cars off the Kensington and Tacony Branch. The two of the three engines were former Conrail units still in their Conrail paint schemes, though vastly different paint schemes at that.
|Although the work was being done by blue C40-8W NS 8374 and C9-40W NS 8781, the star of the consist was former Erie 833, EL 833, CR 4022 and now NYGL 833, on its way to its new home on the New York & Greenwood Lake Railway in Glen Ridge NJ.
|Now as the train pulls through Frankford Junction, a good look at the other side. Shortly after departing the junction, 833 will pass Juniata Terminal Company, its former home where, six years ago to the day, she and sibling 4021 were reunited with 4020. While the other two ex-Pennsylvania Railroad engines got their Tuscan Red coats back and went on to star on many an excursion (Legislator's Express, Amtrak 861, Susquehanna Limited, NS 043, Liberty Limited 2005, Flaming Foliage Express and Liberty Limited 2006 and videos on YouTube), the ex-Erie unit stayed at home in its Conrail Green. Plans are for her to be returned to as-delivered Erie two-tone green paint soon.
All pictures March 30 2007 Copyright © 2007 John P. Almeida
Photographs for personal use only. All rights reserved by original owner of image. Reproduction or redistribution in any form without express written permission is prohibited.
|Click here for previous RPOTW
Last Updated April 1, 2007
Direct website questions or comments to phillynrhs webmaster
Website created June 12, 2002
Website copyright © 2007 John P. Almeida